Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I had my mirena in for the full 5 years because I have been

I had my mirena in for the full 5 years because I have been diagnosed with endometriosis and adenomyosis. My mirena was pulled on Tuesday, on Thursday I started what I thought was a heavy period that lasted through Sunday and it stopped abruptly. Now I have had this migraine and I'm wondering can this be related to the removal and should I expect more bleeding. I'm also having a lot of cramping that goes from my uterus down my legs

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Customer: Hi there
Dr. Pfeiffer :

any problems while you had your IUD in?

Customer: Well when I first had it in I got an infection but never had a problem with having it move or anything
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...but no problems with pain, excessive cramping/bleeding?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what about headaches?

Customer: Oh yes I had a lot of cramping and pain that was one of the readons I got it out because I was having a lot of cysts
Customer: Migraines occasionally
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...so you asked to have it removed due to problems and not that it had been 5 years?

Customer: Right
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

have you been diagnosed with migraines before or is this new?

Customer: Fairly new within the last maybe 2 years I was officially diagnosed
Dr. Pfeiffer :

Does the medication you normally take for migraines help?

Customer: Normally except during my periods
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So some women do suffer migraines from hormonal shift, which is commonly seen around the menstrual cycle.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Some women suffer migraines for other reasons...and some, even in response to contraceptives.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

The questions were trying to deliniate

Dr. Pfeiffer :

It sounds to me like you're migraines are triggered by hormonal changes, which may have occured after your mirena was removed.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that said, it may also just be conincidental given that very little hormone is actually absorbed from the Mirena.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

The bleeding and cramping shortly after removal is fairly common...and you will likely have some intermittent and irregular bleeding until your body returns to a completely normal state.

Customer: How long does it take for a body to adjust or does it depend on the person?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...it varies by person.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

a conservative number is XXXXX months

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but usually much shorter than that with the IUDs because the hormone level is so low.

Customer: Okay thank you for putting my mind at ease!
Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you find things are not getting better or are getting worse over the next week or two I would discuss it with your doctor.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Ok...

Customer: Pkau I will
Dr. Pfeiffer :

Ok. So if you do not have additional questions please take the time to rate my service.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: Thank you. Take care
Dr. Pfeiffer :

you too.

Hi Brittany,
Wanted to check and see how things were going.
Dr. Pfeiffer