Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I am having pain in my left ovary area. It hurts when I sit

I am having pain in my left ovary area. It hurts when I sit down and off and on at other times. Should I go to the emergency room?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the absolute WORST pain ever you can imagine, what is the pain number like?

Dr. Owen :

Also when if your NEXT period due?

Customer:

4

Dr. Owen :

And, do you take birth control pills?

Dr. Owen :

Are you possibly pregnant?

Dr. Owen :

And, are you bleeding?

Dr. Owen :

Sorry for all the questions

Customer:

My period just ended, so my next one is not due until December 22nd

Customer:

No bleeding

Dr. Owen :

Great

Dr. Owen :

Well a pain of just 4 is very much controllable and you do not need to go to the Emergency room ER for this

Dr. Owen :

if you have Motrin (same thing as ibuprofen, or Advil) take 600mg every 6 hours, and you can ALSO add in Tylenol (same as acetominophen) 1000 mg every 6 hours to control the pain

Customer:

Ok, I was just worried because it has gone on for a few days now and has not gotten any better

Dr. Owen :

since you just had a period, you are very unlikely to be pregnant

Dr. Owen :

I see

Dr. Owen :

If you are not on a birth control pill - usually pills can control the pain if you have this pain more often

Dr. Owen :

But, if not that often, you can treat with the Motrin and Tylenol

Customer:

ok

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

If no more questions, please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

I am still here if you need me to answer more

Customer:

One more question, I'm concerned this could be something more serious. From what I read it could be an ovarian syst or ovarian cancer. Should I be concerned about these?

Dr. Owen :

Well ovarian cysts are COMMON - in fact you make cysts every month - one is the ovulation cyst, and the other is the corpus luteum cyst that produces progesterone - so at your age it is very Unlikely to be a cancer.

Dr. Owen :

Also, if you have not had a PAP smear and pelvic exam yet in your life, I would suggest getting an exam as women should get a pelvic exam every year from the time you are 21

Customer:

ok thank you very much

Dr. Owen :

you are very welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

We only get credit when you click on EXCELLENT and we get a Positive ratings and feedback

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate