Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

Im 54 years old wiyh vaginal atrophy. I take the lowest dosage

Im 54 years old wiyh vaginal atrophy. I take the lowest dosage of Estrogen nightly and use small amount of Estreol twice weekly vaginally . Helpful with hot flashes but not others symptoms of menopouse. HELP

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

do you still have your uterus?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what other symptoms are you having that the estrogen is not helping?

Customer:

dryness at times not always also low sex drive

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the estrogen certainly helps with making the vaginal tissue healthier and sometimes helps with libido, but it may not.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

for the dryness I would recommend a non hormonal product that is available OTC called Replens...in addition to your estrogen treatment.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

for libido.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you may try an OTC product called DHEA, which is a testosterone precursor that usually bumps the testostosterone level and hence the libido.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if that doesn't work you can discuss a combination of estrogen/testosterone called estratest..with your doctor.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so those are 2 OTC thoughts you may consider...and if it isn't helping discuss the estratest with your doctor.

Customer:

I had my uterus removed 4 years ago would this med be ok to use

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..but I had to be sure because if you still had your uterus using estrogen alone could be dangerous for you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, since you do not have your uterus...estrogen alone is appropriate and preferred.

Customer:

Ok thanks for the advice I will certainly give these a try and if no sucess I will contact my OB GYN again