Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I am trying to figure out who the father is of my unborn child.

I am trying to figure out who the father is of my unborn child. I had sex with man A on oct 10 then I had sex with man B oct. 17,18,19. Any feed back would be great thanks!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

when you get online let me know the following:

Dr. Pfeiffer :

1) When was the first day of your last normal period.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

2) How many days between periods for you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

3) Any contraceptive used with either

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: First day of my last period was sept 30-oct 3.
Customer: My periods since last July start on the 30th every month
Customer: No contraceptives use
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks for the additional information.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So a 28 day cycle means conception would have been on or about the 14th of OCT.

a 30 day cycle means coception would have occured on or about the 16th of OCT.

both of these days would have been prior to intercourse with man B..suggesting man A is the baby's father.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

we know that sperm can live in the female genital tract for several days and when ovulation occurs that's when conception occurs...not neccessarily the day you had sex.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, that said, because we are smack dab in the middle it's possible you could have ovulated a few days later and that man B is the father.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Unfortunately the dates are so close we have to lean towards man A, but it could also be man B and the only way to know for sure is a DNA swab after the baby is born for paternity testing.

Customer: Ok. I have a doctors appt this week and I should be having my first ultrasound. So if they measure the fetus by so many weeks can that help me identify who the father maybe? Since I slept with each of them a week apart?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, that will help narrow it down.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

early ultrasounds are usually plus/minus 3 days

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so when you have the actual due date from the ultrasound that will help.

Customer: I believe that will help me out a lot having tt
Customer: The ultrasound but what's your take on having chorionic villus sampling (CVS) performed?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would not recommend it for paternity testing

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there are risks associated with CVS and amnio that, in my opinion, are not justifiable for paternity testing.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, if you choose to do that for chromosomal testing that would be something that could potentially be added to the testing.

Customer: So if I do chromosomal testing. How can paternity testing be added into this?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

the sample can analyze the chromosomes, but they should also be able to run DNA sequencing on the material.

Customer: Okay so how many weeks into my pregnancy can I perform that? And where can I get this done?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

usually 12-14 weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Done by high risk Ob/gyn doctors called MFMs.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you would need to ask for a referral.

Customer: So in order to get a referral do I ask for one? Or when does a doctor believe its nessecery to have one done?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

Usually these tests are reserved for women where the risk of down's syndrome or another type of chromosomal abnormality is suspected....normally in older women.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So. If you talk about this with your doctor he/she may agree for the indication of paternity testing (usually with an amnio rather than CVS), but I think that is quite unlikely for the reason I mentioned previously.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'm here

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you have additional questions please ask…I want you to be satisfied with this service.

If you do not have additional question please take the time to rate my service.

We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.

Thank you.
Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: SNP Microarray:Unlike amniocentesis, a non-invasive prenatal paternity test does not require a needle inserted into the mother's womb. The SNP microarray procedure uses new technology that involves preserving and analyzing the baby's DNA found naturally in the mother's bloodstream. The test is accurate, 99.9%, using a tiny quantity of DNA � as little as found in a single cell.....please tell me what you think about doing other option? I promise this is my last question.
Dr. Pfeiffer :

I have heard of this test.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I do not know where it is done...meaning I don't know where I would send my patients to have it done.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I do believe the technology exists to make this a promising test though.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you might look at this link...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

they should be able to help you locate a lab that can do that test for you...in your area.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

looks rather expensive however.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you good?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Thank you.
Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: Hi there! I know this is real late but I happened to get a ultrasound early in my
Customer: Pregnancy and I had it done on dec 5 and I was 8w5d+3d and my due date was changed from 7/7/13 to 7/12/13 can you see if this could help me with figuring if man A or man B is the father? Thanks