Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I had my period about a week and a half ago and I usually bleed

I had my period about a week and a half ago and I usually bleed from anywhere to 4 to 6 days, but this time it just lasted 3 days which the first day was very light (which isn't unusual to me) and then it is heavy on the second and third day. This time it was very light on the 3rd day and then stopped all together. then I was having very sore breast right after that, which is very unusual for me since I always get tender breast two weeks prior to my period. So I have been really confused by this and then today when I went to the bathroom I noticed blood when I wiped. Its been a couple of hours now since and I have checked a couple more times and now it is brown and red in color. Mostly brownish and a bit "slimy" looking. The smell of it isn't that of a normal "period" smell. I actually do not smell anything. I am a bit freaked out by this because I am always regular with my periods ever since I started my period at age 11. I am now a 37 year old married women and am sexually active (although not as much as we used to be lol) but we do not use protection. My husband has always used the "pull out" method; which has worked for 9yrs. I do plan on making an appointment with my OB GYN in the morning but if you can give me some insight on what you may think what could be happening would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I

Dr. Pfeiffer :

am reviewing your question

Customer:

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, to sum it up..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it looks like your period was a bit lighter than normal, but on time

Customer:

yes but why would my breast be sore after my period ended and now am bleeding again a week and half later?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and you are having symptoms of sore breasts.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..so this 3 day bleed was mid cycle..right?

Customer:

the 3 day bleed was my normal cycle time. just didn't last longer than 3 days. then had sore breast after that for about a week and a half and today started bleeding again but blood is red and brown

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

got it. thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so there are a couple of things to consider.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

first...it could be ovulatory bleeding

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it could be related to pregnancy..even though I did read about your success for the last 9 years

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it could be that you did not ovulate and are suffering from a hormonal imbalance. This usually manifests itself as an ovarian cyst...causing increased estrogen levels, breast tenderness and spotting.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it could be polyps/fibroids.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

does not sound like an infection or anything along that line.

Customer:

ok yes my friend was just saying to me that she thought that it could be from ovulatory. As far as hormonal imbalance, I am one hormonal lady, like bad! Well thank you for your help, and I will definitely get in to my gyno's office tomorrow.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..you're welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I think what you can expect is a blood pregnancy test (just to be sure), a pelvic exam and ultrasound..

Customer:

ok Dr. thank you again

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Sure

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you have additional questions please ask…I want you to be satisfied with this service.

If you do not have additional question please take the time to rate my service.

We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.

Thank you.
Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer:

sure thing

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks