Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

Hi i am 29 years old and the mother of 3 boys 7 years ago i

Hi i am 29 years old and the mother of 3 boys 7 years ago i got my tubes tied and in july i had a normal period and in august i had one that lasted 2 days and it was a brownish color and in september i had one for 2 days and it was very light and i didn't get anything in october and i am having a lot of pregnancie symptoms i did a home pg test it was negative i need answers please...
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 2 years ago.
hello,
usually when this happens it suggests a hormonal imbalance...and that's usually caused when a woman didn't ovulate. That may have happened last cycle or the one before it.
The result is an ovarian cyst that causes elevated levels of estrogen..which in turn leads to the pregnancy symptoms and the missed period.
In addition, the elevated estrogen stimulates the growth of the uterine lining..causing the abnormal bleeding.
While one cannot completely exclude pregnancy...it is quite unlikely given a successful tubal ligation 7 years ago and a negative pregnancy test now.
So, it is unlikey you are pregnant. More likely you didn't ovulate and the change in hormone levels is causing the sympotms.
To confirm you would need a pelvic ultrasound.
It would be completely appropriate to wait another cycle to see if you ovulate and your period resumes normally. If not, the ultrasound can be done and your doctor can prescribe a medication called Provera to 'reset' your cycle.
Dr. Pfeiffer
If you have additional questions please ask…I want you to be satisfied with this service.
If you do not have additional question please take the time to rate my service.
We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.
Thank you.
Dr. Pfeiffer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well that was a nice answer but i have never had a problem ever with my periods unless i was pregnant and i never had a problem with hormones i guess my question is couldnt it be possible ..i have a lot of cramping but no period and backaches with no period and my breast and nipples are very sore and tender and my abdomine seems to be pertruding more then usall..
yes.
pregnancy is possible, but unlikely.
a negative pregnancy test (urine) is very accurate 7 days after a missed period...so, if it's less than that time frame you could consider repeating the test at 7 days after you expected to have your period.
Or..you could get a blood test done.
Dr. Pfeiffer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it has only been 5 days since my missed period so maybe i took it to soon
ok..
a blood test would be accurate now...
and to be sure I would repeat the urine test in another 3-4 days.
The result of the urine test at that time would be accurate.
Dr. Pfeiffer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok that helps out alot thank you so much for your help
you're welcome.
Have a nice evening.
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor