Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

is there something over the counter i can take to temporaryly

is there something over the counter i can take to temporaryly stop my period
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello..

Customer:

hi

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'm sorry there really isn't anything available over the counter to help stop your period...this is because all the medications used to do that are hormones.

Customer:

so where can i get something

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the closest thing is the plan b, which is a very high level of progesterone that is not indicated for menorrhagia and carries side effects such as nause/vomiting...and it's expensive.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you have a family doctor or a gynecologist....you should be able to call in and ask for a prescription of provera 10mg for 10 days.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

while nothing 'stops' a period once it starts it might slow it down a bit.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

normally the medications need to be taken 3-4 days before one expects her period for it to work in that capacity.

Customer:

will it cause vaginal dryness my husband is coming n town don't want nothing to spoil it my cucle is due to come on the 10 of Nov when should i try plan b

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and once you start takign it....again, 3-4 days before you expect your period...you won't bleed while taking it...you'll start bleeding a few days after you stop taking it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Personally I wouldn't recommend plan b in this case.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'd call our doctor for a prescription and start taking it the 6th or 7th of Nov and take it daily until you feel it's ok to bleed.

Customer:

so what do u recommend

Dr. Pfeiffer :

provera 10 mg daily.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

normally for 10 days but it can be taXXXXX XXXXXer.

Customer:

don't have a doc here

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's ok..

Customer:

what is provera

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you have a relationship with your physician at home he/she should be able to call it in to a local pharmacy where you are at.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it's a progesterone.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if there's an urgent care where you are that would be another option for you...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

just tell the doctor there that you need a prescription for provera to delay your period.

Customer:

ok thank u very much u helped me a lot good night

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good luck and please take the time to rate my service.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor