Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

i have the mariana and i took 2 pregnancy test and they both

i have the mariana and i took 2 pregnancy test and they both said negative well i went to throw them away the next day and the said postive so a couple of days later i went to the hospital and blood test and pregnancy test said neg am i pregnant or not one postive was very faint and the other was a for sure postive! help please!!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

when was your last period and when did you do the 2 HPTs and then the blood test?

Customer:

im on the marianna and i stopped bleeding 2 months ago i took the home test the week before last and the blood test last friday

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

how long have you had your mirena?,,,and can you feel the string?

Customer:

i've had it for six months and no i cant feel it

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Ok..

Customer:

im just confused because i've taken these dame test before and the negative has never just turned to postive like it had this time

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, my hunch is you are not pregnant.

a negative home pregnancy test is only reliable for the 'result window', which is usually 5 minutes. Any changes after that are not reliable.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

additionally, if you stopped bleeding 2 months ago and the blood pregnancy test you had done recently also suggests your are not pregnant and it is very reliable this far along.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So, I think the blood pregnancy test is accurate and you are not pregnant...and that the interpriation of the HPT beyond the 'result window' (which is unrliable) is confusing you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

The Mirena IUD is one of the best contraceptives we have..it is very reliable.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

What I would recommend is having an exam to evaluate the proper position of the IUD.

Customer:

would an ultra sound be a smart thing to do

Customer:

the hospital checked it and they saud it looked ok

Customer:

but they didnt do an ultra sound

Dr. Pfeiffer :

not right now...to see anything relating to a pregnancy the HCG level has to be above 1500...and yours was 0.

Customer:

i just dont want it to end up in my tubes and me not knowing about it

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So an ultrasound won't see anything even in the unlikely chance this is an early pregnancy

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I don't either!!

Customer:

so the test were just a false postive?

this has happened to me one other time and i ended up haveiing a miscarriage i guess thats why im so worried

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well..that's one way of looking at it...usually a false test is one that give the wrong answer in the correct time frame.

once you interprite the test at the manufacturer's direction....any thing after that is not reliable.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the blood test is more accurate much earlier than an HPT...so if these tests represented a slight positive result due to early pregnancy...the negative blood test does not support that. And, given you had negative tests during the appropriate times..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would dismiss what you saw the following day and trust the blood test.

Customer:

ok, so you dont think there's any chance that it may be postive ? i can see having one postive but to have two of them ?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I really don't given they were interprited after the 'result window' usually 5 minutes, and then a negative blood test following that.

Customer:

i guess im just still trying to understand beacuse ive have taken this same brand of test and i still to this day have a neg test that hace never changed to a postive and ive had it for almost 3 years but i take a test a couple of weeks ago and one minute its neg and the nest postive ?

Customer:

im going to take your advice on this one thank you : )

Customer:

is there anything you can tell me to do

Customer:

or what to look for or anything

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...get your mirena placement confirmed...making sure that it's in the right place.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

at that appointment as to have another blood pregnancy test...just to be absolutely sure.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Don't waste your money on any more HPTs.

Customer:

okay thank you im going to make that apt for next week or something just to get everything confirmed

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good plan

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would appreciate you taking the time to rate my service.

thanks and good luck

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer