Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

My friend is taking trileptal and clonazepam at night. will

Customer Question

My friend is taking trileptal and clonazepam at night. will these drugs affect the plan B she took around 6pm this evening?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

neither of those drugs will affect the plan B pill or it's efficacy.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If she does end up becoming pregnant..she should see an Ob/Gyn as soon as she finds out (again, if that happens) as she will likely need to change her medications.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer:

ok. but i read online that oxycarbazine does interact with contraceptives. is this inaccurate for plan B?

Customer:

how long does plan B stay in her system?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the plan B is a large dose of progesterone.

Customer:

ok so its like a bunch of contraceptive doses all put together?

Customer:

how long will plan B be in her system if she took it at 6pm tonite?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..but the progesterone component only

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no estrogen

Dr. Pfeiffer :

let me look up the half life.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

should only be a couple of days

Customer:

why would the trileptal interfere with other contraceptives but not Plan B?Plan B is a contraceptive right? will it affect the plan B levels in her blood?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

drugs metabolized by the liver can accelerate the metabolism of the birth control pills.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

they are very low dose

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Plan b is a large dose of progesterone.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there may be some change in metabolism, but it's such a large dose I don't think it would make a difference.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

3-5 days is how long the plan B remains.

Customer:

ok so her clonazepam sleeping pills and her trileptal will not in any way affect Plan B?like they will not make it any less effective?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Like I mentioned...the plan B could be metabolized somewhat more quickley and perhaps resulting in less effectiveness than that published

Dr. Pfeiffer :

But...I hesitate to believe it would be very much at all..because it's such a high dose.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the clonazepam won't affect it.

Customer:

ok great ! when is plan b most effective? the first night its in your system? or is its effectiveness drawn out?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

as close to intercourse as possible.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

The idea is to suppress ovulation immediately..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

And...usually a good sign that conception did not occur is a withdrawal bleed in 1-7 days after taking the pill

Customer:

i think she took it at the most less than 40 hrs after.

Customer:

is this bleeding harmful?

Customer:

is there an embryo present if the pregnancy happened but the embryo did not attatch?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no..it's completely normal.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no..has nothing to do with that.

Customer:

she said her period is due around the 28th. will it be sooner than that or will the withdrawal bleeding happen with that?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the large dose essentailly 'tricks' the uterus into thinking ovulation occured, but conception did not...and the bleeding is essentially a period

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...if she bleeds that will be her period...and it can take a few months for things to become regular again.

Customer:

if the bleeding doesnt happen does that mean Plan B didntw work?

Customer:

like if it doesnt happen within days of taking plan b

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you don't always see it..it's a good sign if it does happen.

should happen within 7 days if it's going to happen.

Customer:

ok. can a sperm and egg unite and attatch itself to a womans uterus within 48 hours?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no. that usually takes about 6 days

Customer:

like how long does the process take cuz the package told my friend plan b could be effective thru 3 days after that ther wont be much effect. what is going on in those 3 days?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..it has to be taken within the first 72 hours.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's the average life span of sperm in the female gential tract.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so that's the reason why

Dr. Pfeiffer :

trying to suppress ovulation for the duration of the average sperm lifespan.

Customer:

oh ok. so the egg and the sperm cant connect cuz the egg isnt released yet rite?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..that's the goal.

Customer:

and it wont be released til sperm die off?

Customer:

oh ok

Customer:

that makes sense

Dr. Pfeiffer :

correct...that's the goal

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good

Customer:

but wat if the egg met the sperm during intercourse? like if that was the case my friend would not be actually pregnant until it attatched itself to her uterus rite?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and in that case, the plan B acually helps maintain a pregnancy.

Customer:

wait its supposed to get rid of it! the plan b prevents the sperm and egg from meeting, but if they already did it prevents it from attatching itself. so if it takes several days for this process to happen anyway how could u still end up pregnant even after plan b?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it is not an abortion pill

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the goal is to prevent ovulation

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if ovulation occured already...pregnancy is possible.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and that's why you don't see 100% efficacy

Customer:

oh. but i read on my friends plan b box that its supposed to also prevent fertilization or attatchment of a fertilized egg. so even if ovulation occured plan b could still stop the pregnancy?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...that too is possible

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, again, this isn't an abortion pill...

Customer:

ok. so shes fine to take the meds?

idk wat her dose for trileptal is tho

Customer:

its like one and a half of those thin yellow pills

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If she doesn't want to get pregnant she should take the plan b

Dr. Pfeiffer :

again, there may be some decrease in efficacy, but it's more than not doing anything.

Customer:

she did. at like 6. so far no adverse symptoms. does that mean the pill isnt working?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

some women have nausea, but not all.

Customer:

ok so we just gotta trust that its working and wait for her to start bleeding?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...that's about all you can do now.

Customer:

ok great. and if she doesnt bleed out by like satrday should she do a pregnancy test?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

That would be a bit too early..

If she misses her period on the 28th..that's when a pregnancy test is warranted.

Customer:

ok. wonderful thank you SO MUCH for your patience and help!!! :) me an my friend appreciate it a lot!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome.

take care and good luck.

Customer:

oh can i ask one more thing?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

go ahead

Customer:

i will :) can u explain to me what an ectopic pregnancy is? like how is that possible? and wat happens with that wat do doctors do?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure

an ectopic pregnancy is when an embryo implants anywere outside of the uterus.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the most common site is the tube.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but it can also happen in the abdomen and the uterus.

Customer:

dont they just kinda float around in the uterous? like isnt it a big sack or smthing like a bubble?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

early on...we treat ectopics meeting certain criteria with a medication called Methotrexate.

Customer:

wat does that medication do to the embryo?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

many time we have to operate to remove it.

Customer:

dyu replant it bak into the uterous? or can they not be reattached?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the medication is a chemotherapy drug that stops rapidly dividing cells...so it stops the pregnancy from progressing.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no..cannot be reattached.

Customer:

ohhhhh. ok wow. yikes! ok so the embryo kinda floats around and wanders and attatches wherever?what prevents ectopic pregnancies cuz i havent heard that much about them

Customer:

like is there a bodily function thats supposed to stop the embryo from floating into the tubes or to the abdomen?

Customer:

can a woman feel an ectopic pregnancy?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...there are fine hairs in the tubes that usually push the embryo to the uterus.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

women usually will have a positive pregnancy test and pelvic pain on one side...

Customer:

oh ok. so they know if somethings wrong like its not a surprise?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

very rarely...usually women know

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that said...I have seen a show 'I didn't know I was pregnant'

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and find it impossible for a women to go 40 weeks, gain weight, feel a baby moving, deliver that baby and then claim they didn't know they were pregnant.

Customer:

yeah i heard of that! o and my other friend said that her moms friend syked herself out thinking she was pregnant even tho she wasnt and her body started growing a belly even tho there was no baby!

Customer:

is that a hormone thing?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no...that's a psychological condition that is well known.

Customer:

ohh. is it fat that she grew? can u think urself bak to normal?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

mostly posture..probably some weight gain (fat)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

usually things get better once the individual understands she is not pregnant..but that is usually pretty difficult

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and they think the negative pregnancy tests are wrong.

Customer:

yeah i bet! oh and is it possible to get pregnant from a male's precum?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

possible..yes, but unlikely.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

usually very low, if any, sperm in precum.

Customer:

oh ok. well thank you! have a great rest of your night and we appreciate your help :)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you bet..

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor