Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I am a 28 year old woman who recently had an abnormal PAP smear

I am a 28 year old woman who recently had an abnormal PAP smear with a positive HPV test. (I have scheduled an appointment to follow up with my doctor.) I read that HPV can also be an oral infection, and there is some evidence that it can be transmitted via kissing (http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/05/12/us-hpv-infection-idUSTRE54B61920090512).

I am seeing a guy (who I've not kissed before, but was planning to) next week and am concerned about giving him oral HPV. Is it more likely that I have an oral infection given that I have a genital infection? Should I be concerned about giving him oral HPV? In general, do you recommend getting an oral HPV test?

If the information is useful, I've had 6 vaginal sex partners and 11 oral sex partners in my lifetime (last 10 years.)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Dr. Owen :

Hello and welcome

Dr. Owen :

Do you or plan on doing oral to genital sex?

Dr. Owen :

Do either of you smoke?

Customer:

no to both

Dr. Owen :

okay well since you do NOT smoke - the HPV that you currently have will MORE than likely go away and/or go dormant since you do NOT smoke.

Customer:

I don't know that I currently have oral HPV, only genital.

Dr. Owen :

You really do NOT need to worry about oral HPV - because oral HPV while some of them are similar in types that cause throat cancer - people with throat cancer for the most part are smokers -

Dr. Owen :

So the HPV you might get infected, but it will NOT do anything - it will go dormant or go away

Dr. Owen :

So, you do NOT need to test for oral HPV as there really is NO commercial test for oral HPV since it really is NOT a problem in the world - so hence a commercial test has not been developed

Customer:

but if i did have oral HPV, could I pass it to my partner through kissing?

Dr. Owen :

So, overall you do NOT need to worry about HPV being transmitted

Customer:

oh, that's not true, there is a test for oral HPV.

Dr. Owen :

could you pass it on IF he gave you mouth to your genitals - yes that is possible - but is it a concern - no it should not be a concern.

Dr. Owen :

the test for oral is not commercially available - you are looking at a different test

Dr. Owen :

there is a big difference in the tests that you see on the internet and ones that we use as doctors

Customer:

my dentist offers this: http://www.oraldna.com/oral-hpv-testing.html

Dr. Owen :

and which have a reliability

Dr. Owen :

Yes I know about that test -

Dr. Owen :

people bring it up all the time

Dr. Owen :

but the reliability factor for that test is not reliable

Dr. Owen :

hence why we do not use it

Customer:

oh okay

Dr. Owen :

you may want to use it for your own self knowldedge

Dr. Owen :

that is fine

Dr. Owen :

but from a medical standpoint we can not use it

Dr. Owen :

I hope that makes sense

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help

Dr. Owen :

we have to use tests that are reliable

Dr. Owen :

But, please do not worry -

Dr. Owen :

Why did you click on bad

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT service

Dr. Owen :

I have given you my time and service

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

If you want a free answer - please just say so - instead of rating bad

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

are you there

Dr. Owen :

Okay

Dr. Owen :

have a wonderful evening

Dr. Owen :

Enjoy

Dr. Owen :

bye

Dr. Owen :

You never said why you gave me that rating

Dr. Owen :

I would at least like to know

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

did you leave

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

hello - I see you keep coming and going

Dr. Owen :

Please don't forget get to take care of your expert -

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENET

Dr. Owen :

EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

okay - I see you wanted a free answer

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

bye

Dr. Owen :

Have a wonderful evening

Dr. Owen :

Enjoy your date with your new partner,

Dr. Owen :

take care

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

hello,

Dr. Owen has certainly given you a lot of information, which is all correct.

what is it you need clarification on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to find out whether the fact that I have a genital HPV infection increases the likelihood of having an oral infection. Secondly, is it possible to transmit an oral HPV infection via kissing?

Ok..

So, no..genital HPV infection will not increase your risk of oral infection.

I suppose HPV transmission would be possible via kissing, but oral HPV is quite uncommon.

You have to remember...HPV isn't that 'potent' of a virus. It infects the cervix because there is a 'transformation zone' there where cell types are changing from one form to another. The virus can insert itself there and cause infection.

I honestly don't believe you have to concern yourself about oral HPV.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor