Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I am 46 yrs old, and I have a rash in the outer labia that

I am 46 yrs old, and I have a rash in the outer labia that started three days ago I have been washing very well and putting triple antibiotic but now the inner of my vagina is very red and the labia is itching a lot. I have been having sex everyday with my one and only partner, please don't tell me sex was the cause!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sounds like you have a yeast infection..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this happens...and, can be caused by sex..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'd try the 7 day monistat treatment. It will take about 3 days of treatment for the symptoms to start going away...and everything should be better at day 7

Customer:

I'm just worried because I have been with my partner for over three years and our sex life is very active, but I have never had this happen to me while with him before. What is it about sex that causes this yeast infection?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

any new lubricant, gels..etc?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and..the reason for yeast infections from sex...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the vagina is acidic, semen is basic. frequent sex can change the vaginal ph allowing overgrowth of certain bacteria and yeast.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

douching can also make this happen

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you can also use vagasil wipes or hydrocortisone on the outside for the itch

Customer:

Ok, I will then buy the OTC product you recommended and sit tight.

Customer:

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..sounds like a good plan.

If you're still having problems in a week despite the treatment I'd have an evaluation done by your doctor.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'd also suggest no intercourse for a week until this resolves

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you have additional questions please ask…I want you to be satisfied with this service.

If you do not have additional question please take the time to rate my service.

We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.

Thank you.
Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..so I'm going to step out

please take the time to rate my service.

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor