Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

Hi...i have small white bumps in my vagina that look like pimples...what

Hi...i have small white bumps in my vagina that look like pimples...what are they?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Dr. Lawrence :

Hi

Dr. Lawrence :

Where are they exactly? Are they on the outside? If so, where?

Customer:

so i have these white bumps on the inside of my vagina.....there was one that was between my anus and vagina then i popped that one

Dr. Lawrence :

Are they both inside your vagina and outside, or just in the area between the vagina and anus? I am sorry for my confusion. I just want to make sure I really understand what you have.

Customer:

but i still have 1 or 2 of them inside of my vagina....like i have to digg the inner skin out so i can see/reach them. they resemble zits but they dont hurt or itch

there was 1 outside and 1 or 2 inside

Dr. Lawrence :

I understand better now. Thanks.

Dr. Lawrence :

Did they go away after you popped them?

Customer:

the i was able to pop yes. but the ones on the inside i cant popp them. ive noticed them(the ones on the inside) 2 yrs ago but them they went away. and now they are back.
i cant popp the inside ones because i cant get a good grip

Dr. Lawrence :

What came out of the ones that you popped?

Customer:

kinda looked like a hard tiny balls of puss. 1 was dark greyish the 2nd was white

Dr. Lawrence :

Thanks.

Customer:

these bumps occured after ive been/dating/having sex with my boyfriend for over 3 months. im still with the same guy 2years later. if that makes a difference.

Dr. Lawrence :

It really doesn't sound like these are infectious bumps like warts or molluscum or herpes. Especially not herpes if there is no associated pain.

Dr. Lawrence :

It could be a folliculitis (infected hair follicles) if you shave, but very unlikely for it to be that on the inside.

Customer:

so you think they might just be zits?
the one on the outside, makes sense

but the inside ones?

Dr. Lawrence :

It sounds like these could be small epidermoid cysts. These are benign (not cancer) and not sexually transmitted). sometimes they can get inflammed, like what you are describing.

Dr. Lawrence :

Warm soaks is really the best way to go for this rather than popping them.

Dr. Lawrence :

However, to be completely sure, it would be best to have them evaluated with an examination by your gynecologist while they are present

Dr. Lawrence :

This way, if they see it, they can give you a good sense of exactly what it is and maybe help prevent them from coming back in the future.

Dr. Lawrence :

But in the meantime, I would recommend apply warm soaks twice a day.

Customer:

hmmm ok thanks. since you think they maybe cysts. would these be somthing i may /may not need to get medicine for?
obviously after being evaluated?

Dr. Lawrence :

I don't think that it needs medicine based on what you are prescribing, but unfortunately I don't have the benefit of seeing it to be absolutely sure.

Dr. Lawrence :

But overall what you are describing doesn't sound like a sexually transmitted infection.

Customer:

ok makes sense.
and thats good to hear.

Dr. Lawrence :

Also, the ones on the inside may not be exactly the same as the outside ones. So an exam for the inside ones would really be helpful.

Dr. Lawrence :

While it is unlikely sexually transmitted, at the age of 20, it is recommended that you have screening once a year for sexually transmitted infections, so if you haven't done that yet, you should have that done.

Customer:

ok i will have to find an obgyn since ive never gone to one. thanks for your help. i was really concernced cuz i thought i was a yeast infection of somthing bad like that.
youve definitly been helpfull

Dr. Lawrence :

Thank you. Best of luck.

Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience: Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.