Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I am 64 and using a pesssry for vaginal prolapse (cystocele

I am 64 and using a pesssry for vaginal prolapse (cystocele & rectocele - 2). For lubrication used estriol cream .5 mg 2x weekly for 6 months and then developed uterine polyps. Had a d&c and then started using vagifem 10 mcg 2x weekly. Doc says it will affect the uterus less than the cream. I am still leary about using estrogen so I am trying to taper down to once a week and also use Luvena probiotic moisturizer. I know I need to use lubrication with a pessary, but am afraid of developing more polyps or uterine cancer if I continue with either estriol or estradiol longterm. What would you advise for lubrication in my situation?

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Well with the Vagifem this is an estrogen that does not get that absorbed and using this ONLY twice per week is safe and you really do not need to worry about uterine cancer or polyps with this Estrogen

Dr. Owen :

Also, you can use an Over the counter vaginal Moisturizer called Replens that works

Dr. Owen :

And, a good pH probioitic I like is RepHresh.

Dr. Owen :

And, also for lubrication - Body massage oil with vitamin E also works

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

So your doctor is correct that Vagifem will affect the Uterus Less than Estrace or Premain

Dr. Owen :

premarin

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. It sounds like you would advise to continue with the vagifem. Is that correct? Also, you mentioned estrace and premarin, but I had used estriol cream which is compounded by womens international pharmacy. What is your experience with estriol versus estradiol preparations? Also, do you recommend repHresh over Luvena?

Yes, use the vagifem.
Honestly you really do not need EsTRiol
EstraDIol is what you need.
I see better results with RepHresh vs Luvena
I hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I will try using RepHresh along with the vagifem to possibly limit vagifem use to once a week.

Any brand recommendations for the vit E cream?

you can use any body massage oil with vitamin E
Take care