Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I received this report from scans taken this morning, and am

I received this report from scans taken this morning, and am 44 years old. Although I don't have plans for children, I have read that sexual function is impaired with surgery. Given the findings, is a hysterectomy and/or hormone replacement required or are there alternatives? Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Pelvic ultrasound
Transabdominal and transvaginal scans were performed.
An anteverted markedly bulky uterus with a heterogeneous parenchymal texture is demonstrated. The uterus measures 11.1cm x 11.5cm x 10.1 cm. The endometrial lining is thickened measuring 13 mm (upper range of normal is 12mm)
Arising in the anterior wall of the uterus a large 68mm x 113mm subserosal fibroid is demonstrated. This is palpable transabdominally. A 34mm subserosal fibroid arising in the anterior wall and a 51mm subserosal fibroid arising in the posterior wall, a 21mm submucosall fibroid arising in the anterior wall displacing the endometrial lining posteriorly and a 27 mm intramural fibroid arising in the posterior wall of the uterus are demonstrated.
Incidental Nabothian cyst measuring up to 4mm in diameter are present.
A small amount of fluid is present in the cervical canal.
The right ovary is enlarged. The left ovary is of normal size. The volume of the right ovary is 39.7cc and the volume of the left ovary is 4.7cc. Arising in the left ovary an 11mm x 32mm x51mm hypoechoic area containing an 11mm echogenic nodule is demonstrated. A colour duplex scan was performed. The ovaries bilaterally have a normal waveform.
No free fluid.

Conclusion:
Markedly bulky heterogeneous uterus containing fibroids measuring up to 113 mm.
The endometrial lining is mildly thickened measuting 13mm.
A 51 hypoechoic nodule arising in the right ovary is demonstrated. This may demonstrate an endometrioma. Although unlikely a dermoid cannot entirely be excluded. Correlation with a CT scan is recommended.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

What symptoms are you having?

Dr. Owen :

do you have pain and bleeding?

Dr. Owen :

Are you asking if sexual performance is impaired with JUST a hysterectomy (which is just removal of the uterus alone, NOT the ovaries)?

Customer:

only symptom was a feeling of enlarged bulge in abdomen - thought it was a hernia.

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

So no abnormal bleeding,correct,

Dr. Owen :

Just enlarged, bulky, fibroid uterus, correct?

Customer:

No pain or bleeding - periods normal in time frames - some months (infrequently) were short and very strong but nothing that I could think that was more than stress from work

Customer:

yes - however test today indicated a very large ovary

Customer:

so I am concerned about the ovary I think most of all (as I understand that impacts lifestyle) but also of whether so many fibroids means I need to get a hysterectomy

Dr. Owen :

How big is the ovary - I did not see that

Customer:

The volume of the right ovary is 39.7cc and the volume of the left ovary is 4.7cc. Arising in the left ovary an 11mm x 32mm x51mm hypoechoic area containing an 11mm echogenic nodule is demonstrated. A colour duplex scan was performed. The ovaries bilaterally have a normal waveform. No free fluid.

Customer:

Dr. Owen :

so a 5 cm ovary - you should get this evaluated further and if you do plan on a hysterectomy - consider possibly removing that ovary and leave the other ovary

Customer:

I would prefer NOT to have a hysterectomy - does the report indicate that this is a necessity?

Dr. Owen :

Well it is NOT necessary to have a hysterectomy- since usually these fibroids shrink and go away as you go through menopause

Dr. Owen :

also, then you should just watch your ovary with a repeat ultrasound in 6 to 8 weeks

Customer:

Also if I remove one ovary does this mean I will suffer disfunction? some of the side effects of removing ovaries at all are really scary - is it possible to just remove the growth? or not?

Dr. Owen :

And, if the ovary is still enlarged, then you might want to consider surgery just for the ovary

Dr. Owen :

If just ONE ovary removed, you still have the other ovary and that would fine and you would not lose any function

Customer:

ok - so one ovary should compensate enough so no hormone therapy is required, is that correct - it should auto-adjust?

Dr. Owen :

Yes, one ovary is More than enough to compensate

Dr. Owen :

no hormone therapy is required

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

It does - thank you for your help

Dr. Owen :

you are very welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXcellent service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

:)

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate