Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

my clitoris has retracted or disappeared

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

How long have you been in Menopause, if you are in menopause?

Dr. Owen :

What medications, pills, herbs or creams/ ointments do you use?

Dr. Owen :

Hello and welcome

Customer:

haven't started menopause ... had hysteroscopy and D&C in April. Take supplements, fish oil, coq10, D, zinc, iodiral, curcumin

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

Well since you have had a hysterectomy you can USE an Estrogen product such as Estrace or Vagifem and this should help the Atrophy that you are experiencing

Dr. Owen :

Estrogen is safe to use by itself since you do NOT have an uterus, and hence you are NOT at risk for developing uterine cancer.

Customer:

did NOT have a hysterectomy .. had a hysteroscopy.

Dr. Owen :

Oh, I see

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

Well then you can use the Estrogen such as Vagifem but restrict its use to just 2 to 3 times per week, vice daily

Dr. Owen :

How long has this clitoris retraction been going on?

Customer:

Just noticed it.

Dr. Owen :

Because what is happening is you are having decreasing estrogen support to the vulva (clitoral) and vagina area

Dr. Owen :

You will start to notice thinning of the skin and retraction of your vaginal / vulva area

Dr. Owen :

Hence to try an help you can use Estrogen to help this - but since you Still have an uterus - you can only use it at most 2 to 3 times per week so that you do Not build up a thick lining in the uterus which can lead to hyperplasia within the uterus

Customer:

Hmm, okay. May pass on the estrogen for now. any other options.

Dr. Owen :

Vagifem is preferred as it does not absorbed as much as the other estrogen products

Dr. Owen :

Well you can try herbal products such as Black cohosh, Vitex, Chasteberry, Dong quai -

Dr. Owen :

these are available in most vitamin stores such as GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe

Dr. Owen :

What else may I help you with

Customer:

okay. That's it for now.

Dr. Owen :

Well come back if you have more questions

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

I am online daily - thank you and please ask for Dr Owen

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate