Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

can you take the morning after pill while on birth control

can you take the morning after pill while on birth control?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hello are you taking birth control pills everyday?

Dr. Owen :

Hello and welcome

Dr. Owen :

If you are taking the birth control pill everyday and you are Not missing any pills

Dr. Owen :

Then you do not need to take the morning after pill, as it is not necessary

Dr. Owen :

IF you have happened to take the morning after pill - it is FINE - it will not affect the birth control

Customer:

Hi, I am taking my pills every day for the most part, but the past couple months I haven't taken the last 3-4 pills in the pack so that my period would start sooner (I'm on Yaz, which has 24 active pills instead of the normal 21 active pills of most oral contraceptives)

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

those are the placebo pills - so it is fine Not to take them

Dr. Owen :

so, if you take the active pills and not miss any, you are fine

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

no, there are actually 3 extra "active" pills for Yaz, instead of 7 placebo pills, there are only 4

Dr. Owen :

No, I understand - I'm an ob/gyn

Customer:

does that make sense? so i have 24 blue pills and 4 more white pills (i'm assuming the white pills are the placebos and all the blue are active)

Dr. Owen :

As long as you do not miss any of the active pills, you do not need to take the morning after pill

Dr. Owen :

I am an ob/gyn I know all the birth control pills and how many are in a package

Customer:

i think i have missed some active pills, as i don't take the last 3 "active" blue pills in the pack

Customer:

i understand, i'm not trying to undermind you since i know you are a doctor - just making sure you are familiar with the certain type i am taking

Dr. Owen :

If you Missed active pills, then yes take the morning after pill

Dr. Owen :

IF YOU HAVE MISSED any active pills, then take the morning after pill,

Dr. Owen :

But if you have taken and NOT missed any of the active pills, then you do not need the morning after pill

Dr. Owen :

I hope that helps

Dr. Owen :

I know the Yaz pill very well, I prescribe it all the time

Customer:

right, i understand that. i guess i'm just asking if i take the first 21 pills in the Yaz pack and then stop, i've technically missed some active pills, correct?

Dr. Owen :

Also, if you have missed active pills, if you take the morning after pill such as Plan B, it is fairly effective

Dr. Owen :

okay I see

Dr. Owen :

so you are taking only 21 active pills and then no pills for 7 days, correct?

Customer:

correct - so i think i'm missing 3 active pills by doing that

Dr. Owen :

If that is what you are doing, that is fine too - because you are essentially just making the Yaz like a normal birth

Dr. Owen :

so, It is OKAY to just use just 21 days and then no pills for 7 days

Dr. Owen :

that is still OKAY and you still do not need to use the morning after pill

Dr. Owen :

As long as you take 21 pills in a row, you can MISS up to 7 days and still NOT ovulate - so you will not get pregnant.

Customer:

ok! so then what is the point of Yaz having the 3 extra "active" pills if they aren't really active (from what it sounds like)? i'm just curious :)

Dr. Owen :

The reason why Yaz is 24 active pills is to decrease the length of your period, that is all

Customer:

ooooh ok! now it all makes sense

Dr. Owen :

there are many pills on the market like that - such as LoEstrin 24

Dr. Owen :

and it gives women a Much lighter period on average

Dr. Owen :

but, you can use just 21 pills, 22, 23, or 24 - it is up to you

Customer:

ok i see

Dr. Owen :

Just do not go MORE than 7 days without birth control - because then you run the risk of ovulating

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

it does, i appreciate your help. i am just being overly cautious, but i'd rather be safe than sorry

Dr. Owen :

You are very welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

I am online daily and if you need help in the future, ask for Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Well if you want you can always take the Morning After pill - I have many women in my practice who do this - although it is not necessary

Dr. Owen :

I wish you the best

Dr. Owen :

Take care

Customer:

ok, thanks!

Dr. Owen :

and please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

:)

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate