Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Hi. I have a question about my clitoral hood. Last Tuesday,

Hi. I have a question about my clitoral hood. Last Tuesday, 1 week ago, after I masturbated earlier in the day, I noticed in the mirror that the tip of my clitoral hood was swollen. It is only swollen on the tip and only on the tip of the left side, exactly where I was rubbing. It is not red, has no puss, does not hurt, causes me no discomfort, does not feel like anything is inside, although the skin there feels "thicker" than the other side of my hood. The other side of the tip is not swollen. The only part that appears puffy is the tip. It has been like this for a week, and I am wondering what is wrong. It does not appear that it has made any change or that is getting any bigger or smaller. It just "is." The day it appeared, I had put a lot of pressure on the area because I was laying on my stomach and I was admittedly rough. I am wondering what in the world it is and what I can do to make it go away. Please advise.
I suspect that you may have a small sebaceous cyst in your clitoral hood. Irritation an bruising from the rubbing could cause swelling on one side, but that usually would be gone within 1 week. Sebaceous cysts are common in the vulvar area, and occur when the opening to an oil gland gets clogged. If it's small enough, it may be very difficult to feel as a distinct lump or cyst. If it is a sebaceous cyst, it may or may not go away. It requires no treatment unless it's sufficiently bothersome to you, in which case it could be removed under local anesthesia. The swelling is unlikely to be anything serious, so I would give it a little more time and see if it doesn't disappear on its own. I don't think anything you put on it will really make any difference. If it does disappear with time, then it was either irritation and bruising or else a sebaceous cyst. If it persists, you could see your doctor for an exam and possible treatment. I hope that's helpful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so it is possible to have a small cyst at the tip of my clitoral hood? Also, you do not believe it is anything I should worry about?
Yes, it's very possible to have a small cyst at the tip of your clitoral hood. And I don't believe it is anything to worry about.
Thank you for your payment.