Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

My husband had a long term affair. During this affair, I developed

My husband had a long term affair. During this affair, I developed severe sores on my tongue, burning throat, could not sleep as a result and could not eat because of the pain. Could this have been a result of him having oral sex with that person which he admits having.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hello have you been evaluated for any STD's, specifically HSV - Herpes?

Customer:

I have giving blood work and it came out negative

Customer:

is there a specific test for herpes

Dr. Owen :

have you had an exam by a doctor for the mouth and pelvis?

Dr. Owen :

Sores can be Herpes related and the way to test for this is with a culture, specifically a herpes culture.

Dr. Owen :

Now sores could also be a bacteria infection such as a Strep throat -

Dr. Owen :

So you do need a culture of the throat for both bacteria and virus to see what you ahve

Dr. Owen :

have

Customer:

Did for the mouth at that time I was not aware of the oral sex. Had a pap test done last year, not at that time aware of the oral sex

Dr. Owen :

did you get cultures?

Customer:

At ENT Dr. did not have culture. No culture for Pap other than regular procedure

Customer:

Could OS result bateria

Customer:

?

Dr. Owen :

You might want to have bacteria and herpes (viral) culture done `

Dr. Owen :

what do you mean by 'OS'?

Customer:

Oral Sex

Dr. Owen :

OS in medicine means Left Eye

Customer:

sorry

Dr. Owen :

any way a culture would be very helpful

Dr. Owen :

And if this is herpes,

Dr. Owen :

then a medication such as Acyclovir or Valtrex will help with these sores that you have

Dr. Owen :

I am sorry this has happened to you - but I do see this enough that I think this is due to herpes

Customer:

should I do this at my general practioner have an appointment with him 7/30 or ENT doctor

Customer:

I thought is was a result of herpes

Customer:

*it

Dr. Owen :

You can have any doctor do the culture

Dr. Owen :

It does not have to be an ENT

Customer:

Fine, thank you. The herpes could be a result of Oral Sex then?

Dr. Owen :

Also, you might want to ask what they WERE testing specifically

Dr. Owen :

OH yes, absolutely

Customer:

This lady possibly had multiple partners

Dr. Owen :

we see herpes in both the mouth and the genital areas

Dr. Owen :

This just increases the likelihood that this is a herpes infection

Customer:

Could husband be a carrier and not aware

Dr. Owen :

yes, that is possible

Customer:

Would he also need a culture to find out if he is a carrier

Dr. Owen :

Since 80% of people have herpes, but less than 10% of those actually KNOW they have herpes because they never have sores

Dr. Owen :

It is hard to test and do a culture if there are no sores

Customer:

My sores have cleared but I have thick saliva. Is that also related to herpes?

Dr. Owen :

But a blood test for antibodies can be done for herpes called HSV 1 and HSV 2 (IgG and IgM) - these are antibodies that you can get tested for to see if you have herpes in your body

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Owen :

it could be related, or it could be a salivary gland problem that is still inflammed from an infection

Customer:

I'll follow up with my General Practioner on 7/30. He is aware of affair and I will talk to him about the sores and thick saliva. Thank you.

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service (smile face) - we work hard for Positive ratings

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate