Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

When I have sex my posterior fourchette stings whenever my

When I have sex my posterior fourchette stings whenever my boyfriend tries to stick his penis in me. Its slightly swollen, red and stings when I pee after sex is over. What is wrong and how should I fix this issue?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

How long has this been happening?

Dr. Owen :

Have you ever had a baby vaginally?

Customer:

never been pregnant

Dr. Owen :

How long have you been sexually active?

Customer:

and its been happening for about a year now and every time i go to my ob doctor she just tells me it a yeast infection. but i would get the medicine for a yeast infection and it would still happen after the infection was cured

Customer:

for about 4 years

Dr. Owen :

Does the yeast medication ever help?

Customer:

no

Dr. Owen :

so absolutely ZERO help, is that right?

Customer:

correct

Dr. Owen :

Do you have any itching?

Customer:

none

Dr. Owen :

Are you actually seeing an ob/gyn or just a doctor who can do pelvic exams

Customer:

an ob/gyn

Dr. Owen :

Has your doctor discussed getting a biopsy of this area, in addition to getting a culture?

Customer:

no she hasnt

Dr. Owen :

Has she even done a culture of this area?

Customer:

yes every time i go

Dr. Owen :

Well she probably has done a swab, but has she done this swab and then said to wait about 3 to 5 days for the results?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Owen :

and have they always come back as negative?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

so this is NOT a yeast infection which you already know

Dr. Owen :

So, the next step is to get a small biopsy -

Customer:

what will that do

Dr. Owen :

This could be a vaginal irritation such as Lichen planus, lichen sclerosus, or many other possibly vaginal problems, but you need a biopsy so this can be put under the microscope to look at the cells

Customer:

oh

Dr. Owen :

given this has been going on for so long now, and no cultures have become positive, this means this is a vaginal skin problem that only a biopsy would be able to diagnose you with -

Dr. Owen :

So this is important given the length of time you have had this problem.

Customer:

oh ok.

Dr. Owen :

And, you might just need a steroid cream such as Triamcinolone to help

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

so if this is a vaginal infection thats is what will cause the swelling and burning?

Dr. Owen :

Well this is unlikely to be a vaginal infection - since the cultures are normal

Dr. Owen :

But more like a 'skin' disease of one of the types I described above.

Customer:

the thing is im at military technical school so i cant go to a gyn thats why im on here

Dr. Owen :

I see - where are you located?

Customer:

san antonio texas

Dr. Owen :

San Antonio has a VERY large ob/gyn service at the main hospital -

Dr. Owen :

they actually train both army and air force ob/gyn's so you should be able to get an appointment there

Dr. Owen :

All you have to do is go to sick call where you are - and have them put a Referral in to see the ob/gyn at the main hospital

Customer:

this is kind of weird but if u saw a picture could u have an idea of what it might be

Dr. Owen :

Well that might help

Dr. Owen :

you can post it here

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. Owen :

Have you ever had an injury to this area, because the right side of your labia does not appear to be as big as your left side?

Customer:

not that i know of

Customer:

like what kind of injury

Dr. Owen :

well let me ask - have you ever been raped or any ever harmed you?

Customer:

no never

Dr. Owen :

okay

Customer:

i honestly never had a problem until i got on birth control

Dr. Owen :

I think that area that is red towards the bottom of your vagina deserves to be biopsied so that you can get a proper diagnosis

Dr. Owen :

I know you are in school - but they will let you out for for a doctor's appointment

Customer:

so do u have an idea of what it is

Dr. Owen :

And, they should be able to put in the medical system there called CHCS or AHLTA an ASAP or Acute appointment request to the ob/gyn at the main hospital

Dr. Owen :

I really can not tell what it is from the picture - I would really need a much closer look, and a personal camera would not be able to do that

Dr. Owen :

But I do see the redness you are talking about

Customer:

ok

Dr. Owen :

looking a bit closer - do you have 2 small blisters

Customer:

i dont think so

Dr. Owen :

I see two small white spots on the picture...

Customer:

they may be i cant tell

Dr. Owen :

The reason I am asking - have you been evaluated for HSV - herpes?

Customer:

they hurt to touch

Dr. Owen :

because this could be a herpes infection too

Customer:

i was born with herpes simplex 1

Dr. Owen :

given your symptoms of the pain - it could very well be herpes too.

Dr. Owen :

Well herpes either 1 or 2 can affect the vagina

Customer:

so could i just use the cream i have for my herpes and see if that helps

Dr. Owen :

So this could be herpes - and if so, then the yeast medication would definitely NOT help, but medication such as Acyclovir or Vatrex would help - BOTH of these medications are ON the formulary so YOU can get the doctor to prescribe you this and pick up at the military pharmacy

Dr. Owen :

You can try the cream - but you might try the Pills - and just go to sick call to get Valtrex or Acyclovir (pills or capsules).

Customer:

okay i will try that as well

Dr. Owen :

former military ob/gyn here -

Dr. Owen :

so the sick call doctors should be able to treat you

Dr. Owen :

I wish you the best

Customer:

okay thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Dr. Owen :

good luck in school

Customer:

thank you!

Dr. Owen :

by the way after you click on Excellent service - please print this out so that you can show this to your doctor (or at least remind yourself what we discussed0

Dr. Owen :

take care

Customer:

okay will do. thanks

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I went today and got nothing back except that I have yet another yeast infection. The swelling and redness are gone but the pain is still there. I tried to explain to them that I have been having this issue and they honestly didn't care. I haven't been with my boyfriend for over 3 months so I figured the issue would have gone away after waiting that long. But it didn't and now they're telling me it a yeast infection as usual.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Let me ask you - did you get seen by an ob/gyn - or by just a clinic doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ob/gyn
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Really - and did you bring up our conversation about herpes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes she said there are no signs that it would be herpes
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
okay - what medication did they give you ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
monistat
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure this was really an ob/gyn who saw you - did you go to the hospital?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Here is my concern - you have been on this medication and it did not work, is that right - and so an ob/gyn would not put you on that medication - and IF this really is a yeast infection - then you might need a prescription to Diflucan (fluconazole) or Terazole (terconazole).
Please if you have more questions, please ask