Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have a sore spot on the outside of my vagina, sort of next

I have a sore spot on the outside of my vagina, sort of next to the labia lip (it that's what it's called) . Just one side. It stings when I urinate. Anything I can use over the counter. Can't get hold of my gynecologist on the weekend.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Are you sexually active?
Is it possible this sore spot was an injury? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just with my husband and it's been several weeks. No chance of STD (at least that's my read). No injury. It just started last night. I have had it once before and thought it was related to sex, but that's not the case this tie. Think I told you it's just on one side
When you had it before, was it in the same place?
Have you had much stress lately?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was in the same area....I think on the same side. I just retired from teaching yesterday (30 1/2 years), but haven't had stress.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If we get disconnected, what do I do? I have to switch to my i-phone shortly. I has hoping there was an over the counter product. The vaseline this morning didn't do much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't realize this would take more than 10 minutes. Can you still reply via my e-mail and leave me a message since I haven't yet gotten any suggestions or answers? I would assume that my payment in advance would make this happen. My e-mail isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I will await your response. I have to drive in the car now, but will check my e-mail in about 15 minutes
If you get disconnected, you can come back to this site later when you re-connect. We are not able to respond by email from this site.

A sore near the vagina that comes back is genital herpes until proven otherwise. You probably don't think you could get genital herpes, but it's a very common virus. The way to know for sure is to have a herpes culture done from that area. They can usually do this in an urgent care clinic, or else you could wait to see your doctor Monday. I would recommend not putting anything on it, as it probably won't help much, and can aggravate it. Sitting in water with epsom salts will be soothing and healing, regardless of the cause. In case it is herpes, there is medication that can help resolve it, although it will go away without treatment, usually within about 1 week. Genital herpes can be transmitted from the herpes virus in a cold sore, perhaps on fingers. There aren't many other things that cause a sore near the vagina, although a pimple or injury can do it. I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does does that mean that you can have herpes in a sore on your finger? I have had an infected finger area around my nail a couple of different times in the past year. Touching your vaginal area with that finger could cause a problem?
That might be possible, but most infected finger sores are due to bacteria rather than the herpes virus. Genital herpes is mostly transmitted by sexual contact, but could conceivably be transmitted by fingers from another area such as a cold sore to the genital area.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before I sign off on this, I just want to be sure I understand. It sounds like what I need to do is go get this test regardless of what it might be. And until then there's really not much to do. Is that correct?
Yes, I think you need the test to know what it is. In the meantime, sitting in water with epsom salts is the best thing you can do.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.