Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator

1 week after my period, I feel swollen my ovaries hurt. My

1 week after my period, I feel swollen my ovaries hurt. My husband says its be cause i need to have an orgasm. My pain is crucial its like the symptoms of a ovarian cyst. I had one burst in 2004. But the funny part is that i have sex to relive this pain which it does help then 3 days pass and i feel okay. Why do i get so bloated, its painfull?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Hi, I am sorry to hear the you have been having this pain. Do you have regular periods? When was your last ultrasound? Do you have any medical problems? Do you have any nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea associated with this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have normal periods, i am in good health so far. And no i do not have nausea, vomiting,or diarrhea. My ultra sound was done last year. My pap smear are done yearly.
Hi, thanks for the responses. Well, pain in the pelvis can be nonspecific, so it is a matter of sorting out whether it is indeed ovarian in origin, or related to the bowels, bladder/urinary tract, or the muscles and nerves. Typically, bloating related to your cycle and discomfort in that area happens premenstrually, so the timing for you is a little different. I think it would be worth to repeat an ultrasound at this time, because it has been a year since the last investigation. The best time to have it would be during the week of your period. Additionally, it would be worthwhile to have an evaluation by a gastroenterologist to see if your intestinal tract is contributing to your symptoms. You can have irritable bowel and/or diet sensitivities which can also wax and wane with your menstrual cycles. Ultimately, even if you don't find an exact cause of the pain (which is often times the case), then you may still benefit from being on a birth control pill to suppress ovulation and stabilize your hormones. This often times can prevent this problem. One further question I have, is that you said you have sex to relive the pain....did you mean relieve it (for it to go away), or the sex causes the pain and then it goes away 3 days later? Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have sex to reliieve the bloating and pain. Which it does help.
Interesting. I am glad it helps rather than the other way around. Certainly, the increased blood flow may be helping. I would definitely repeat the ultrasound at this time to reevaluate the ovaries. As I mentioned, the ideal time to do the study would be the week of your period. If that is normal, then I would then look into seeing the gastroenterologist.