Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

What does brown discharge mean straight after your period I

What does brown discharge mean straight after your period I am 46
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.

DrK99 :

Hello I can help you with your question

DrK99 :

Brown discharge is nothing more than continued bleeding that is very light. As the blood comes into contact with oxygen, it becomes oxidized and turns brown.

DrK99 :

Many times there is a relative decrease in progesterone in relation to estrogen that begins in the years prior to menopause, this is called the perimenopause. This leads to a destabliization of the uterine lining and a more dysfunctional menstrual cycle.

DrK99 :

Spotting before and after a period is common. Other serious causes could be an abnormal pap (cervical dysplasia or cancer), a polyp, or infection such as std.

Customer: should I worry I had abnormal smear ten years ago but had my last smear in November which was clear and they have all been clear for ten years my period was supposed to be finished Sunday and I am still having some brown discharge
DrK99 :

Likely nothing to worry about, but its a good idea to have a pap if you are due/overdue, an exam, and std screen if needed. In addition women over 40 should be screened every few years for thyroid disease.

DrK99 :

No, its very unlikely then to be a cervical problem or a result of a pap that is not normal. You are safe there.

DrK99 :

This discharge is then likely minor bleeding due to hormonal imbalance as described above. Pregnancy also is always a possibility, have you considered that?

Customer: how long do you think it will last for
DrK99 :

If it is brown, its already in the process of ending

Customer: So I shouldnt worry
DrK99 :

No I dont think so, you have had a recent exam, likely due to hormonal dysfunction in this cycle

Customer: you don't think it is abnormal cells again
DrK99 :

Very unlikely, you just had a normal pap

DrK99 :

And multiple normals before that

Customer: what should I do then
DrK99 :

If if happens again, that would be the time to schedule an appt with your gyn.

Dr. K., MD
Experience: Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.