Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I am a post menopausal woman with a thin brown discharge that

Customer Question

I am a post menopausal woman with a thin brown discharge that has an odor. It begin the same time I was helping my mom move. This involved a lot of lifting, pulling and much physical exertion. It comes and goes w/ exertion. However, I am concerned.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.

How long the symptoms are there? How frequently do you get it? Is there any bulging or something protruding from the vagina? When did you start menopause? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About 5 days. First time I have ever had this since stopped having periods in 6/09. No past illness. Paps always normal. I took a fall down stairs about a year ago, landed right on my lower back on stair, had light spotting for a couple of days. My dr. thought I may have ruptured a cyst. But other that, no problems. I am on Femhrt 1mg/5MCGT for 2 mo. now
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

Brown discharge along with smell can be due to infection. It is not due to stress or over work. Discharge can vary time to time. You may not get discharge every day. Sometimes heavy lifting can cause vaginal prolapse and infection can develop. As you are taking hormone, hormonal imbalance can cause spotting but it should not produce bad smell. Though your last PAP was normal, still you will need repeat evaluation by a gynecologist. Inflammation, growth should be checked too. You should take an appointment as early as possible. If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
In addition discharge in post menopausal women also needs to be evaluated more thoroughly since brown discharge could signify bleeding somewhere within the pelvic cavity such as in the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries.
So, hence you need to get a complete pelvic exam because besides an infection - this could also be due to a dysplasia (precancer) or a cancer - so you need during the pelvic exam a PAP smear, an Endometrial biopsy of the inside of your uterus, a pelvic ultraound, a culture to check for infections, and a TSH thyroid blood test.
I hope this helps
Please provide Excellent feedback
Thank you