Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

My menstrual flow is becoming stagnant what herbs can I increase

My menstrual flow is becoming stagnant what herbs can I increase it with had normal pap smear in march in April my period flow is less or stagnant
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

What are you wanting to do?

Dr. Owen :

Estrogen actually by ITSELF will not increase the risk of breast cancer - it is when you are menopausal and when you ADD progesterone to the estrogen does this increase the risk of breast cancer.

Dr. Owen :

So with a lighter period that is actually OKAY - and nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Owen :

And actually a LIGHTER flow is better than a more Irregular Heavier flow.

Customer: Trying to keep regular menstrual flow
Customer: Trying to keep regular menstrual flow
Dr. Owen :

Is there a specific reason why you want to keep a period.

Dr. Owen :

Many women actually don't might having lighter and less flows.

Dr. Owen :

But, if you want a regular menstrual period - then actually using products such as Nuvaring and Ortho Evra will do just that for you - AND; these products do NOT increase the risk of you breast cancer.

Customer: Trying days if stagnant flow

Dr. Owen :

by stagnant- what do you mean

Dr. Owen :

we usually do not defined menstrual flow as stagnant - that is why I am asking?

Customer: Isn't abnormal to go from five days of regular flow to1-2days of stagnant flow

Customer: Isn't abnormal to go from five days of regular flow to1-2days of stagnant flow

Dr. Owen :

What do you mean by Stagnant though - that is not really a term we use in ob/gyn - do you mean the flow just keeps coming or it stops OR does it stop and go?

Dr. Owen :

Stagnant usually means to stop - is that what is happening?

Customer: Isn't abnormal to go from five days of regular flow to1-2days of stagnant flow

Dr. Owen :

What do you mean by Stagnant - do you mean STOP - because that is what stagnant means - I'm trying to figure out what is happening here.

Dr. Owen :

Do you mean you bleed for 5 days, THEN stop for 2 days, THEN start AGAIN - - is that what you mean>

Dr. Owen :

?

Dr. Owen :

IF that is the case - this is called Irregular bleeding - and then since you are over the age of 35, you need to find out Why this is happening.

Dr. Owen :

And, hence this could be a thyroid condition, this could be a polyp, this could be a Dysplasia (precancer) or a perhaps a cancer (very Unlikely to be a cancer - but it should be evaluated).

Dr. Owen :

So, you should first have a pelvic exam, a PAP smear (if you have not had a PAP in over a year), a TSH thyroid blood test, and then a pelvic ultrasound with an Endometrial biopsy of the inside of the uterus...

Customer: Isn't abnormal to go from five days of regular flow to1-2days of stagnant flow

Customer: Isn't abnormal to go from five days of regular flow to1-2days of stagnant flow when your period flow changes isn't that considered abnormal

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
IF you mean you have menstrual bleeding coming and going that is irregular - then you should get this evaluated since you are over the age of 35, you need to find out why this is happening.

Now if all is normal and you have symptoms of say perimenopause - which you might be having -
There aer herbs that you can use such as:

Vitex, Dong Quai, Black Cohosh.

I hope this helps
Please provide Excellent Feedback
thank you

IF you have more questions - please I am still here to help you.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
I see that you have seen my answer - so, is your bleeding more of an Irregular type of bleeding, or you jus have a slower-decreased period and then you stop, is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My menstrual flow used tobe five days of regular period now it is light flow for two days maybe 1-2 pads. I already had a pap smear and pelvic exam they said they would see me in a year. My pap smear was in march. I thought don quai is not good for people with increased risk if breast ca and vitex as well because it mimics hormones. How do I know if I'm peri menopausal wouldn't a doctor tell you that. How about safflower and how much should I ae what about other Chinese herbs. Want kind of cancer, how do I know if it is endometrosis

Slower decreased bleeding then before but use regular when the period is to come
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Actually - let me try to explain a LIGHTER flow is actually very GOOD - there is nothing wrong with that - and actually this is what you want to have as you go towards menopause.
Now the exact definition of menopause is actually no period for 12 months straight - but if you want - you can ask your doctor for a FSH - follcle stimulating hormone blood test and while this test will NOT tell you if you are in menopause, if the test FSH is elevated it does tell you that you are 'heading' towards menopause and any time after the age of 40 it is acceptable to be heading towards menopause (perimenopause).

So, there really is NO reason to take anything for this and in fact it is NOT recommend that you take anything - just let your body have decreased periods and that is all - there is nothing you need to do - I know it is hard to think that way - and some will try to tell you otherwise - but as an Ob/Gyn I can tell you that you do NOT want to take anything for a decrease menstrual flow - you just leave Well enough alone, that is all.

As for Safflower or other herbs there is absolutely nothing you need to use.

If you had endometriosis - you would know it - it is very Painful - and usually you would have had the diagnosis by your mid 20's.

so, a slower period but Regular is absolutely OKAY _ and no ob/gyn would recommend doing anything about it.

I hope this helps
Please provide Excellent feedback for the time I have spent with you
If you have more questions, please ask
thank you
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate