Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I have a throbbing sensation inside my vagina, it almost feels

I have a throbbing sensation inside my vagina, it almost feels like a pulse or something like that. I have had unprotected sex on April 22 and 25 and May 10, 2012, but home pregnancy test is negative and i came off the depo in march after only one cycle done in January and have not had my period at all. Can it be something else? I was diagnosed last week with bacterial vaginosis.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Have you had a period yet since coming off the depo provera?

Dr. Owen :

Do you still have an odor for the BV - bacterial vaginosis?

Customer:

no i havent, i dont have an odor,

Dr. Owen :

What did you use for the BV - what medication?

Dr. Owen :

What medication did you use?

Dr. Owen :

Are you on a cell phone?

Dr. Owen :

Are you there?

Customer:

Its an antibiotic, i finished it already and through it away but it starts with the letter M, he saw the bacteria under a microscope, i read online that it skills bacteria in the vagina

Dr. Owen :

okay

Dr. Owen :

So more than likely you could be having return of your ovarian function too

Dr. Owen :

As the depo provera essentially stopped you from ovulating so this could be the reason.

Dr. Owen :

Also this could be from the BV - but also you could have a pH imbalance too and hence sometimes when you treat for BV with metronidazole you could end up with a Yeast infection.

Dr. Owen :

So, none of this sounds bad - it is a matter of making you confortable.

Dr. Owen :

You can try to use a Probiotic called RepHresh PRO B - as this contains GOOD bacteria and should help

Customer:

I have a doctors appt in the afternoon, is there another reason why you would get the throbing sensation

Dr. Owen :

Also, if you are not planning on getting pregnancy then using another birth control might work too.

Dr. Owen :

The throbbing is usually the ovaries or possibly your uterus trying to get a period - and usually medication like Motrin, Ibuprofen or Advil help

Customer:

Is there chance there would be throbing if your pregnant, dont they say that more blood circulates that way or no

Dr. Owen :

Well you would throb possibly if the pregnancy test is positive, but since the test is not positive, then it would be impossible for this to be due to a pregnancy as you ONLY get symptoms of a pregnancy when the test is positive.

Customer:

Another Dr. told me to do another pregnacy test on June 10 because it could be to early. Why would the throbing occur if you are pregnant, the pulse of the fetus?

Dr. Owen :

Well it might be too early - it is impossible to have any symptoms DUE to a pregnancy if the pregnancy test is not positive - so there is no way this is due to a pregnancy - I have been practicing ob/gyn for a very long time - and it really is impossible to be due to a pregnancy.

Dr. Owen :

But, More than likely due to your ovaries, your uterus, or a possible infection - but not due to a pregnancy

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps, thankj you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

thanks you!

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on ACCEPT, thank you

Dr. Owen :

Please ask for Dr. Owen in the future

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Hello - please don't for get to click on ACCEPt

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
One other possibility would be Vaginismus - see www.vaginismus.com

Please provide Excellent Feedback for helping you
Thank you