Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

my ob tell me that i have fibroids, and a cyst on my ovaries.

my ob tell me that i have fibroids, and a cyst on my ovaries. I have irregular bleeding alot. I am also experiencing a fowl odor and some sticky viginal discharge. My doc gave me a anti-biotic but it didnt seem to help. Whats next?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

does the odor smell fishy?

Dr. Owen :

How big are your fibroids?

Dr. Owen :

And, when you mean irregular bleeding - do you mean just heavy bleeding during your period - or bleeding that occurs are irregular intervals?

Dr. Owen :

Are you there

Dr. Owen :

When did you use the antibiotic?

Dr. Owen :

What was the name of the antibiotic - was if Flagyl (metronidazole)?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Bleeding could be from the fibroids - and if you have a lot of them, or they are large (greater ) than 5 cm (centimeters) - then you might want to consider a hysterectomy - this would usually get rid of all yours such as the bleeding, pain, cramping and even possibly the odor.
The odor is usually indicative of an infection - and this could be due to the bleeding as bacteria have oxygen to effectively 'breed' on.
As for the ovarian cyst - usually these go away on their own in 6 to 8 weeks.
So, serious think about talking to your ob/gyn about this hysterectomy surgery and whether or not you want to leave your ovaries which you should really consider leaving them.
Also sometimes there are other methods too to deal with this - such as an UAE - Uterine Artery Embolization - which effectively blocks the blood flow to the fibroids and hence decreases the size of the fibroids since the fibroids have nothing to 'feed' on.
I hope this helps
Please provide Excellent - 5 star feedback
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
How big are the fibroids?
How many fibroids do you have?
How big is the ovarian cyst?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the odor smell fishy, i took the antibiotic about a month ago. my fibroids are 2 to 3 cm in size
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well your fibroids are not that big - and you might benefit from a few possible ways of stopping the bleeding -
You might try a Mirena IUD, you might try a medication called Lysteda, or possibly even an Ablation - see the Novasure system at www.novasure.com

Also the fishy odor is BV - and this is something that takes more than just one course of antibiotics - you probably will need another course of antibiotics - BUT also you need a Probiotic with Lactobaccillis acidophilus such as the over the counter product such as RepHresh PRO B.

Please provide Excellent - Satisfied 5 star feedback for helping you
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read something about pelvic inflamation disease, could this be a possibility
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well this does not sound like PID - not usually the case in a women in her 40's.
Fishy odor is ususally BV - bacterial vaginosis - and treated like I have said - it just can take a while to treat because it really is a matter of YOU keeping your pH balanced in your vagina - HENCE WHY you need the probiotic such as RepHresh PRO B.
I hope this helps
Please click on Excellent - satisfied feedback - so I may get credit for helping you,
Thank you very much
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Also, PID woudl cause you exquisite pain, usually cervix pain, pus (not just discharge, but pus) at the cervix) and we usually do not see this in 45 year old women - more common in women in their 20's.
And, BV - you need to control the Acid-Base balance - and hence controlling the bleeding would help to keep this under control.
I hope this helps
Please don't forget the Excellent - Satisfied feedback, as this would be fair in helping you, thank you
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate