Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

Im 11 weeks pregnant and when I went to pee there was a red

Customer Question

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and when I went to pee there was a red thing after I peed in the toilet. It didn't look like blood it was really thick almost like ketchup, it wasn't very big maybe the size of your pinky finger. I have a little bit of pains in my pelvic area but nothing too bad but now I'm terrified there's something wrong. There's no blood on the toilet paper at all and I tried wiping a few times
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Any recent intercourse? Is the pain new or has it been there since you've been pregnant? Have you had any bleeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No intercourse recently, the pain has been on and off the whole time. And I spotted a little early on after my first pap test at 5 weeks but no blood since then

Given there is no continuous bleeding or an increase in pain, most likely all is well. However, I would recommend you call your doctor tomorrow to have your urine tested for infection or signs of bleeding (could be due to kidney stones) and check the baby's heartbeat to make sure all is well.

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please ask. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so usually the pain would start to get really bad and I would be bleeding all the time, if there was something seriously wrong? Its midnight here and I'm scared to go sleep. My lower back on my left side hurts a little too, and my tummys growling and I'm terrified everythings a sign its getting worse, and just one thick clump like that, was so weird. But the fact that I'm not bleeding now and the pains not really bad is a sign its probably ok until morning?
Yes, with a miscarriage you would typically have gradually increasing pain and increasing bleeding. The fact that you do not see any bleeding when you wipe is good. Certainly, mild cramping is normal during pregnancy and this is very common. If you are having pain in your back, this is a sign that perhaps the bleeding was in your urine which could be due to kidney stones. Increase your water intake and call your doctor to be seen tomorrow as above. You should be fine to rest tonight as it sounds as if you are fine.
Experience: With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to rest tonight and I'll call my doctor at 8:30am when there office opens tomorrow and try to get an appointment tomorrow. Thank you
You're so welcome. Be sure to drink plenty of water during your pregnancy as this can help prevent kidney stones and cramping/contractions that can lead to bleeding during your pregnancy. Take care.