khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.

how long does a yeast infection take to clear up

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.

khagihara :

I am honored to assist you. My answers are for information purposes only. They don’t substitute for a visit to a doctor’s office. Doctor/patient relationship is not established.

khagihara :

Usually 1 diflucan is good enough to clear up yeast infection.

khagihara :

within one week.

khagihara :

But you have had it for 2 weeks.

Customer:

yes last week I took one just after I finished my antibiotic and then it was fine but it came back again

Customer:

I now took another 3 days ago

khagihara :

You seem to have complicated yeast infection.

khagihara :

Main yeast infection is from Candida albicans.

Customer:

I am traveling at the moment. Could it be something else?

khagihara :

did your doctor check your vaginal discharge under the microscope or cultured?

Customer:

I haven't seen the doctor yet, all on the phone as i have had this in the past

khagihara :

What does the discharge look like?

Customer:

white, like yeast infection. Now not so much, just uneasy there with some itching sometimes

khagihara :

cottage cheese like discharge?

Customer:

could it be a STD? i haven't seen my boyfriend in over 4 months and he visited last month. After sex I got a UTI (I diagnozed

khagihara :

No, it is not STD.

Customer:

myself and was given antibiotics now I get this

Customer:

ok, that's good

khagihara :

Antibiotics kill good bacteria in the vagina. Then yeast grows up.

Customer:

but I had to take 2 rounds of antibiotics for UTI to clear- cipro for 5 days and then something else for 7 days

Customer:

is that normal to clear a UTI for 12 days?

Customer:

and I never take any medicine

Customer:

usually

khagihara :

It is not usual for UTI. It is complicated UTI. If your symptom is not improved in 4 days, your yeast infection is not due to Candida albicans.

khagihara :

For non-candida albicans, you should try vaginal boric acid 600 mg twice a week for 14 days.

Customer:

ok, so I should not take monist at now

Customer:

I have some discomfort in my lower abdomen, is that normal with this infection?

khagihara :

diflucan and monistat are similar medication called -azole.

khagihara :

It seems to be a normal symptom.

Customer:

ok, so I wait 4 days and see if it clears up, then I visit a doctor.

khagihara :

If your symptom is not improved, call your doctor to prescribe boric acid.

khagihara :

If you can, you should visit your doctor.

Customer:

So no STD? i'm nervous about that...waht are the symptoms? are they similar to a UTI then yeast type infection?

khagihara :

It occurs very often.

khagihara :

Some doctors prescribe antibiotics and yeast medication together.

Customer:

thats what he did, I did not take them together but waited to see if I got one then I took it and then I took the other one

khagihara :

Wait in 4 days. If it is not cleared up, you should see a doctor to have the discharge examined under the microscope & cultured and get boric acid if yeast is still there.

khagihara :

Sometimes there is just inflammation. Not due to yeast infection.

khagihara :

In the case, steroid cream such as 1% hydrocortisone cream suppresses the inflammation.

Customer:

ok, so its not an std? I'm nervous about that

khagihara :

Not STD. You also try probitics.They helps good bacteria grow up in the vagina.

Probaclac Vaginal (http://ladytobaby.com/show.php?item=219), Gy-Na-Tren Vaignal, Purfem Probiotic, RepHresh Pro B (oral) plus RepHresh Vaginal Gel (vaginal)

khagihara :

Any questions?

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX these above!

khagihara :

You should try them. Also there is over-the-counter boric acid vaginal medication called yeast arrest.

Customer:

ok, will asks for yeast arrest, thank you

khagihara :

You are welcome.

khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Trained in OB & GYN for many years.