I had a baby in may 2011, I breastfed for a while so periods took a little while to come back. I had two periods and decided to go on the depo provera. I have migraines with aura so was advised this was a good choice. I have bled continously since this date am and constantly fatigued and exhausted. My iron stores are at the lower end of normal so I take iron tablets and I've had a clear ultrasound of my uterus. Any ideas when I should expect the bleeding to stop and when my energy should return?
Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.
When was your last depo provera injection?
Also, how many have you gotten in total since you started?
Are you having trouble with the chat mode? If so, we can switch to Question and Answer.
What do you take for your migraines? Do you only get them with your periods?
What Happens Now?Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Are you able to see my initial questions?
I am not sure if you are able to respond to my questions, but if not, I 'll give you my take on your situation. Irregular bleeding is a very common side effect of the Depo Provera unfortunately. Most women, however, will stop bleeding the longer they are on it. So it may just be a matter of time and more shots before it stops. However, the downside to this is that you could become more anemic in the meantime, and it can also cause you to have a significant decrease in your bone density over time as well the longer you are on it, leading to osteopenia or osteoporosis.
For you, given that you have auras with your migraines, birth control pills may be too dangerous to use because of an increase risk of stroke. You may do better from a bleeding standpoint using the mirena IUD instead of the Depo Provera. Typically with the mirena IUD, you will have less frequent and lighter periods, without the breakthrough bleeding. A lot of it has to do with whether you are looking to get pregnant in the future. It can take up to a year to start ovulating again after stopping depo provera, so if you are not interested in getting pregnant soon, then the IUD may not be a bad alternative. There is no way to predict when or if the bleeding will stop while on the Depo Provera, other than that it is possible that it may never (about a 20% chance), or with continued use, it will stop altogether (about 80% chance by one year of use). As long as you continue to bleed, you will need to continue to take the iron and feel the effects of the anemia. If the timing works out with planning with future pregnancy, then the IUD would be a really good alternative. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them.
I only got one shot which was on 7 November last year
I only got one shot which was on 7 November last year and my migraines are sporadic so I don't take anything
Thanks for the reply. Since you only got one shot, and then didn't continue, it is very likely that you have not resumed ovulating. As I mentioned before, it can take up to 9-12 months for your cycles to get on track after stopping the Depo Provera. If you have not seen your doctor since stopping the Depo Provera, then you should do so. You may benefit from a short course of hormones. You have to be very careful though, because with a history of migraines with aura, you can have an increased risk of stroke with the birth control pill. If you are not looking to get pregnant again for the next couple of years, then the mirena IUD would be perfect. If you are not looking to wait that long, then I would take a short course of estrogen, followed by 5 days of progesterone orally, to help the bleeding now. Then, something like condoms and spermicide may be sufficient for birth control. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks.
Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator