Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I have small sores near my anus and the area between my anus

Customer Question

I have small sores near my anus and the area between my anus and vagina. They are not open sores and don't hurt when i urinate but burn when touched. The night before there was pain only in the anus, so i thought it just might be hemorrhoids (I have never had hemorrhoids before but looked at pictures online and thought it might be. But this morning i woke up, there are now sores and they have spread to the area between my anus and vagina. My first thought was herpes because that is the worst possible result but i dont know how that can be. i have been with my current boyfriend in a faithful relationship for almost three years and i know he is clean. It's just a small cluster maybe 5 or 6 sores. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
I am honored to assist you. My answers are for educational purposes only. They don’t substitute for a visit to a doctor’s office.

Are they blisters? Did you have flu-like symptoms before you noticed them?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.

These are very suspicious for herpes simplex virus lesions. Herpes forms in clusters of blisters that hurt or burn especially when touched.

You should see a Dr for diagnosis, to do a viral culture (swab) of the lesions and bloodwork.

Most people (70%) acquire herpes from an asymptomatic partner, meaning their partner has no symptoms and does not know they have it. Herpes can also be passed through oral sex if the person has a cold sore.

Early treatment with prescription medication, Valtrex or Acyclovir , will shorten the duration of the lesions and stop the virus from replicating. This lessons the chance of recurrence and makes any recurrences less severe.

I am available for followup questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is about 5 of them and I don't think they are blisters( they don't have a white head or a pus filled head). If this helps. And no flu symptoms but I did have a really bad stomach ache 4 days before today.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

Herpes sores may be very small and only get a tiny fluid filled head after a few days, not a pus filled head. They may never actually look like blisters but may just crust over into a scab. Many people do not get flu symptoms unless its a very severe case.

Still good advice to have the lesions cultured for hsv and bloodwork obtained.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a possibility that it could be something other than herpes. I know for sure that my boyfriend has never cheated and neither have I. And I'm the first person for him to experience unprotected sex. How could I have gotten herpes and not show signs for over three years?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
It could just be a skin irritant of course. But as I mentioned he may not know he has it or you may have contracted it previously. 70% of people infected are unaware they have it and then have a "first episode, nonprimary" meaning they experience an episode but actually have been infected before. It does not mean anyone is cheating. Go get tested. If it is negative and the sores go away you will know its just a minor skin irritation.
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
They don't seem to be herpes because they are not blisters. If they are herpes, they become blisters. They could be an ingrown hair, folliculitis (which is an infection of a hair follicle), or epidermoid cysts (sebaceous cysts), which is where the opening to an oil gland gets plugged, and sometimes will get infected.
You should try the following home remedies for ingrown hair and folliculitis.
Apply a warm, moist washcloth or compress to the affected area several times a day to relieve discomfort and help the area drain.
Gently wash the infected skin twice a day with antibacterial soap or apply an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment. Use a clean washcloth and towel to dry off each time you wash.
If the home remedies don't work, you need to see your doctor. Also they may be epidermoid cysts. If so, they need to be drained.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/genital_herpes.htm

If you are diagnose with hsv, this is a good website as a resource. Good luck.