Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I have a lump under my skin in my groin area only on the left

Customer Question

I have a lump under my skin in my groin area only on the left side. It is very close to where my leg and groin meet, deep under the skin. I've had it for a few months. I first noticed it when my cat would walk on my lap and step right on it, it would feel very tender and a little sore. It only hurts when you push down on it a little. It is small, about the side of pea. Do you have any idea what this could be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.Hello I can help you with this question

DrK99 :

This is a lymph node in the inguinal area. It is a common area to have inflamed and enlarged nodes

DrK99 :

Sometimes the nodes here become enlarged from shaving the bikini line or pubic area or from an ingrown hair. The fact that it is tender also points to that diagnosis

DrK99 :

It should go away after a few months, since it has not, medical attention is needed. Your Dr may choose to wait and watch it for a while or refer you for removal of it. It would be a simple outpatient procedure.

DrK99 :

What questions do you have?

Customer:

Should I go to my OB/GYN or just my regular physician?

DrK99 :

I dont think it matters, you will need referral to a surgeon for biopsy or removal. So either your regular Dr or gyn can do that.

Customer:

Since it has been there for a few months, could it be something worse than just an ingrown hair or a reaction to shaving?

DrK99 :

Highly unlikely since it is small and has stayed small. If it was something serious, would likely be growing

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your help.