Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

free flowing pelvic fluid

after having a pelvic MRI, i was told today that i have a moderate amount of free flowing pelvic fluid..i have had a total hysterectomy/oopherectomy, so the ovaries cannot be the source. what are the other possible causes? back in november i had terrible back pain and blood in my urine...when they cultured it they found no infection. on follow up appointment they detected no blood in urine.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 4 years ago.

The pelvis always contains some amount of free fluid - this is normal. Its purpose, basically, is to lubricate the organs and tissues that rub and move against each other during the body's normal range of activities. But a moderate amount can pathological.

The commonest cause of moderate free flowing pelvic fluid is a pelvic infection - a pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). This could even be due to an intestinal infection or due o other infections like a bladder infection which causes inflammation of the surrounding tissues.

Liver problems like cirrhosis can increase the amount of free fluid but in that case, there would be quite a large amount of fluid, not moderate.

Since you have had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy, you probably have a mild infection in the bladder or intestines.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in searching the internet i read that this pelvic fluid can be caused by a weakened heart, damaged kidneys or liver, and possibly even an aneurysm. my doctor wants me to have a gynecological exam right away with an ultrasound. since i have nothing left but a vagina, wouldn't it be more pressing to check out the heart/kidneys/liver first?
A weakened heart or liver or kidneys would cause quite a large amount of fluid, not a moderate amount. And it would be sufficient to cause other symptoms of damage of these organs. Collection of fluid due to any problems with these organs is not the first symptom and would not occur silently with no other symptoms. Your doctor is quite right in suggesting a gynec exam with an ultrasound as a first step. You also need a urine analysis.