Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I have had an ingrown hair on the outside of my vagina for

I have had an ingrown hair on the outside of my vagina for about a month now. I've tried picking at it to get the hair out but I think it's too deep. I've tried waiting it out thinking the hair will soon pop out but it won't and hasn't up to this point. About a week ago another ingrown hair formed very close to the other bump, so now I have 2. What should I do because no matter how much I dig, I can't see the hair and it won't pop out.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 4 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Customer: Thanks
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I would recommend you visit an ob/gyn. You may need antibiotics to help this resolve. In the meantime, soak in a warm/hot bath with Epsom salt daily. This can help the pores open and drain any fluid trapped within it. The hair would then eventually make its way to the surface.

Customer: I've tried that and nothing works. It will go down but then a few days later it will puss up again...they both do the same thing but the hair won't make it's way up
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You mean it keeps returning and you are soaking every day in Epsom Salt?

Customer: Will the gyn have to cut it open to get the hair out?
Customer: I haven't tried the Epsom salt but I've soaked in the tub for quite a few hours...no luck
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I depends on how large it is, but this is possible, yes. He/she may try antibiotics first if it is still relatively small. If it is large, it may need to be drained.

Customer: Would that cost a lot if I were to pay out of pocket
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Do you currently have an ob/gyn?

Customer: No ma'am
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

That's when its expensive. As a new patient, the initial evaluation can be $150.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You can try contacting your local health department or Planned Parenthood.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Planned Parenthood provides gyn services at reduced costs and they are nationwide. You can find the location nearest you at www.plannedparenthood.com.

Customer: Will it eventually come out? This is the longest I've ever had an ingrown hair and I'm just afraid that it will just continue to puss and not come out
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If it is forming puss it is because it has become infected. You will need antibiotics to get this to resolve now that it is infected.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If this happens in the future is is best not to try to dig it out and do the soaks in Epsom salt only. When a blister forms you can burst it and continue soaking, but allow the hair to make it to the surface on its own.

Customer: Are the antibiotics called minocycline? Because I have been taking my sisters and it's not working for the current bumps
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

No, we would use something better for the skin like Bactrim or Keflex.

Customer: Oh ok...great thanks so much
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're so welcome.

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please ask. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.

Customer: Thanks. Have a great night
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You too.