Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

My right labia majora feels like I have a golf ball hidden

Customer Question

My right labia majora feels like I have a golf ball hidden within it. At first I thought it was a sebaceous cyst because I suddenly started getting a bunch of ingrown hairs from shaving my pubic hair off completely. I decided to let my hair grow back a bit and see if it would help, but it didn't. So then I tried to lance this 'internal' lump somehow in hopes of relieving to relieve the pressure. I literally put a sterilized pin through the center of my right labia majora where it felt the most tight. The pin literally went all the way to the head of the pin, with no infected material coming out no matter how hard I squeezed the labia majora. It was shocking and I was surprised it didn't hurt. What the heck? Am I birthing an alien within the right side of my labia majora or something?

In addition, where my underwear rubs against the inside of my right thigh where the elastic band stretches, the skin is red and irritated there too. Essentially it's a couple inches off from where the huge lump is within the labia majora. None of this is happening on the left side at all for some reason. Is this a yeast infection? I don't have STDs and this doesn't meet the criteria of herpes, so please don't try and scare me with that thought.

I have been going through overwhelming stress recently, moreso than I've ever endured in my entire life. I'm 41 and now because of the additional life stress (I was laid off last month) I sort of lose my mind before my period begins. I break out in acne that's so bad, as bad or worse since being a teenager. I believe the PMS and hormones are connected to my pimples, as well as this inflammation on my labia majora; it grows and gets worse when I PMS.

And before you say, "Ooh, go to a doctor. It's not that easy." First of all, I'm menstruating. The past couple months is when this all began. I was laid off last month and don't have insurance. I live in Northern Virginia where there are no discount clinics and Planned Parenthood is approximately $240 per visit, with no discounts for indigent people. There are no free clinics within the Northern Virginia region/DC metro that I've actually been able to track down. I call the numbers listed from online clinics, and they're no longer in service or the phone rings and rings and rings with no one answering.

So please tell me if it's just as simple as going to a MedCheck for antibiotics because that is my only option. An OB/GYN is too expensive because sending things out to various labs for additional tests will double or triple the initial visit to the MedCheck-type facility.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Hello, I would be happy to help you today with your question.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Please give me a minute.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Tim, MD :

You have what sounds like a "bartholin gland cyst"

Dr. Tim, MD :

These are common and are usually towards the back and to one side, often just inside the vagina. When they are big, the labia appears enlarged on that side towards the back.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Does this sound like what you have?

Customer:

This is what I've read online, but when I hear 'inside the vagina', it's not inside the actual vagina

Customer:

unless the labia majora is considered also part of the vagina

Dr. Tim, MD :

Is the skin inflamed or reddened?

Customer:

which skin?

Customer:

where the hair grows out?

Dr. Tim, MD :

The skin over the area that is swollen.

Customer:

not as bad as the skin around where the elastic waist band goes round my upper thigh beside it

Customer:

it's a little pink and upon looking at it, i can see a bit of a bluish vein within it

Dr. Tim, MD :

The options for what you describe will include:

1. A bartholin gland cyst
2. A large sebaceous inclusion cyst
3. A vulvar abscess

Is it painful?

Customer:

and then of course i can feel the sore lump inside the labia majora

Customer:

why would the area beside it on my upper thigh be red and irritated? I cannot get it to heal.

Customer:

it's bizarre none of this is occurring on the left side.

Dr. Tim, MD :

It could be that the "cyst" is infected with some surrounding skin infection or "cellulitis". Because it is on one side only, it must be one of the things that I have listed.

Customer:

the whole area is more sensitive before my period begins

Dr. Tim, MD :

I am certain that this represents a bartholin gland based on what you are describing.

Customer:

Okay, so the bartholin's gland is within the labia majora then?

Dr. Tim, MD :

Yes, the problem can involve a larger area than just the cyst alone.

It definitely needs some attention before it becomes a bigger and more expensive problem - here is what I would consider if I were you...please give me a minute to type...

Customer:

okay. I guess I'll check out the Doctor's Express near me. I cannot afford a gynecologist appt.

Dr. Tim, MD :

1. You might try an urgent care or ER setting
2. The "cyst" needs to be opened and drained
3. Often they can place something called a "Word Catheter" or pack it in a way that aids draining
4. You likely will need some antibiotics

Dr. Tim, MD :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

Yes. It makes me wish I was a man.

Customer:

you guys have it easy

Dr. Tim, MD :

We have it too good, you are right!! If you are satisfied, please ACCEPT. Please take a moment to leave feedback!! Good luck to you!

Dr. Tim, MD :

Please let me know how this turns out.

Dr. Tim, MD :

And please don't forget to ACCEPT so that i receive credit from JustAnswer!

Customer:

NEVER! Ha ha, just kidding. :) Thank you.

Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience: General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
I am just checking to see how things are going and if you got the "cyst" checked out - what was it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went online and saw pictures. I definitely don't have a Bartolin's cyst. It's just a plain 'ol cyst, probably a sebaceous cyst. I don't have the money to see a regular doctor, especially since my cat is sick and she comes first. It sucks.

I had mentioned the sebaceous inclusion cyst. See if there is a Community Health Center in your area that might be able to see you without insurance. It would simply need to be "lanced" and drained.

Good luck! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found out that I have a staph infection which was brought on by friction and a poor immune system from all the stress. My boyfriend I only see once a month essentially started it and the job loss essentially made it worse. I looked all over the Internet and found that people, by default, think it's some lame Bertolini (or whatever it's called) cyst. It was NOT that at all. It started out as an infected hair follicle and blew up into an abscess from bacteria on the skin.

So there ya have it. I have antibiotic pills and an ointment which I hope work.

I did mention the possibility of a vulvar abscess in my original answers - I am really glad this got figured out and that you are getting the proper treatment.

Thank you for the update - if you have more questions about this problem, fell free to post back to this question and I will respond.