doctor_charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal med. specialist, CGO(Certificate in Gyne & Obs.)

i am shedding my uterine lining during my periods but there

i am shedding my uterine lining during my periods but there is no blood just brown substance and i have severe pain. what could this be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  doctor_charles replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Do you have previous history of irregularity in periods?
Is there clots in menses?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I was diagnosed with pcos.
When the products of menstruation aren't completely cleared in previous menstrual cycle,this results in blackish brown periods/discharge.This particular color indicates "old blood".It doesn't seem to be due to an infection or any other serious cause.Another less likely possibility is you have a lot of iron in your blood which would make it rich and dark.

As you have history of PCOS,the most likely cause is that this is old blood.The blood clots are part of the endometrium or the lining or the uterus which is shed during menstruation.

So I advice you to take tab.Acetaminophen for the pain relief.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.If still the pain persists,then you need to consult your gyne doctor for prescription medications.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can get credit for my work & assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.