Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)

I have fishy smelling urine

Customer Question

My pee smells fishy. It's most definitely my urine and I've been tested for STD infection... I'm clean! What could it be?!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 4 years ago.

Abnormal urine odor is mainly due to urinary tract infection.The urine should be examined for routine test. Though you are sure that the odor is from urine but it may be from mixed vaginal secretion and urine(most common)And in that case you are most likely due to BV (bacterial vaginosis).It is not a STD and not related with sexual act.It is due to the change of vaginal ph due to the destruction of normal vaginal flora.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But why is it only when I pee? it only happens when I urinate. and it seems like it only comes from the very front... sorry

I did not mention that it is definitely from vaginal secretion ,it may be due to UTI(urinary tract infection). But commonly fishy odor is typical of Bv.When you urinate the mixed vaginal secretion comes out and you are getting the odor. You can exclude or confirm it by getting the odor from your finger after inserting the finger inside the vagina. Pathologically it can be confirmed by a swab test.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've already done tried that. My actual vaginal opening is fine. Peachy even. It's coming from my urine. I've had urinary tract infections before, but they just hurt and I bled a little, this seems different. It doesn't hurt, I don't bleed when I urinate, it just smells... fishy.

I know where it's coming from, I'm trying to figure out why? I have had vaginal sex, since this problem arose and it smells just fine. It's usually when I pee first thing in the morning... Also, sometimes the smelly urine goes away.

Thanks for your information.

As you are sure that it is of non vaginal origin you must test the morning urine sample for routine test to exclude the infection of urinary tract.