Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

our surrogate is 6 weeks pregnant, hcg levels are 2800, sac

our surrogate is 6 weeks pregnant, hcg levels are 2800, sac is 3 mm but ultrasound today showed a strong heartbeat. what are chances of a healthy baby?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Well this is a very GOOD sign since you have a very appropriate HCG and you have a heart beat - so it sounds like this should have a very good chance at a normal pregnancy - usually greater than about 80 to 90% at this point.
And, then you should be making sure you are using prenatal vitamins, eating well, drinking plenty of fluids, and also an exercise regimen too - women who exercise in pregnancy do much better than those that do not.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but isnt 3 mm half the size it should be at 6 weeks? and shouldnt hcg levels be at 10k or more?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well you had a heartbeat so essentially this means that this is not really measured, but the Fetal Pole is measured instead.
And, at 6 weeks no it is not requied to be at 10K - I see levels at 6 weeks from about 1500 to 5000 on average - not necessarily 10,000.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we were told the size is half of where it should be is that not your experience at 3mm? the dr. is telling us this.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Okay but at this stage they should be measuring the fetal size which is he Fetal pol and if there is a heart beat we do NOT need to measure the yolk sac, nor the Gestational sac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
shoot maybe its the fetal pol that is 3mm would that be the issue then? it should measure abut 6 she said.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
That is more than LIKELY the case - that sounds appropriate.
WE really do NOT measure the sacs once a fetal pole and a heart rate appears.
I hope this helps, plesae click on ACCEPT for answering your questions, and staying with you and for the time I have given you.
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, you are not answering my question, is 3mm for the fetal pole size a sign of a problem that could result in an unhealthy baby? 3mm at 6 weeks? is this half of the size it should be? and if so are there any stats in regards XXXXX XXXXX you can point me to?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
First of all you have a heart beat - that is what is important - correct?
Then the Size then Depends on weeks - because it is the measurement of the size that determines how many weeks.
I never really look at the mm of the size of the fetal pole because the ultrasound machine actually calculates this into weeks and days.
So, this does NOT mean an unhealthy baby - you are reading too much into what you are finding on the internet - so if you are reading internet forums, I would highly recommend that you stop because there is so much misinformation and wrong informaton that it is scary.
So a scan at 6 weeks can measure from 3 to 7 mm - so it is something that you should have followed again at around 7 to 11 weeks for another scan.
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate