Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I took my nuvaring out 1 week early...I had intercourse with

I took my nuvaring out 1 week early...I had intercourse with my husband on a Friday. I would normally get my period either on a Friday or Saturday after I take the ring out...what should I do? I've read the pamphlet that came with my prescription and it mentioned that: if I take the nuva ring out for more than 3 hours during the first 2 weeks that I should place a new one in immediately. My question is, since I took my ring out a whole week early, and I placed a new one in 3 days I continue with leaving the ring in for 7 days and then take it out?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
YES, replace the Nuvaring, BUT also go out and get the Plan B morning after Pill so that you do not get pregnant.
This will help you NOT to get pregnant and it should work.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Once I've inserted a new ring, do I continue with my schedule of taking the ring out 1 week later, since I've already had it in for 2 weeks already?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
The Plan B can be taken per the FDA for up to 96 hours after unprotected sex and it should help you.
Then leave the current ring in as planned, remove after one week, etc.
Now, you can just change out your ring every week too and SKIP your period too whenever you want - it is perfectly safe to skip a period by keeping your ring in
I hope this helps, please cick on ACCEPT, thank you