Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  28 years of experience and an award-winning educator.

i had unprotected sex on the 8th day of my period(4th feb)

i had unprotected sex on the 8th day of my period(4th feb) and took the morning after pill with in 24 hours. i had withdrawal bleeding which started on 8th feb and it was like a normal period with heavy bleeding on the 2nd 3rd and 4th day. i normally have a 31-33 day cycle. when will i get my next period
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Collins :

I can help you.

Dr. Collins :

Let me read your questions carefully.

Dr. Collins :

After taking the morning after pill, your bleeding will be unpredictable for 1-2 months afterwards.

Dr. Collins :

The reason for this is that the morning after pill can delay your ovulation and we can't tell for how long.

Dr. Collins :

Let me try to guestimate.

Dr. Collins :

My best guess is that your period will either come on time or delayed by just a few days.

Dr. Collins :

On day 8 of your cycle, you were not that close to ovulating.

Dr. Collins :

So the MAP probably didn't have much effect on your ovulation or if so would delay slightly.

Dr. Collins :

The bleeding will probably be slightly lighter than normal.

Dr. Collins :

Questions?

Dr. Collins :

Taking the MAP within 24 hours of the event will drop pregnancy risk below 1%.

Dr. Collins :

Especially since you were day 8.

Customer:

i would like to know the date would it be 8th of march as i had 6days of bleeding starting 8th feb almost heavy for 3days like a normal period

Dr. Collins :

With a long cycle, your most fertile time was still several days away.

Customer:

can i count the 7 days withdrawl bleed as a normal period

Dr. Collins :

oh, now I see the issue.

Dr. Collins :

No. It is not really a period.

Dr. Collins :

I think that you will want to run a pregnancy test to be certain that you are not pregnant.

Dr. Collins :

The chance is very very low.

Dr. Collins :

But if you did get pregnant from the encounter, than it would certainly be positive by now.

Customer:

i did it yesterday and it was negative

Dr. Collins :

If you have a negative test than 100% certain that you are not pregnant from that encounter.

Dr. Collins :

Yes that is good.

Dr. Collins :

You are not pregnant for sure.

Dr. Collins :

The delay is completely due to the Plan B.

Customer:

how long will it get delayed

Dr. Collins :

It is unpredictable.

Dr. Collins :

Usually I would predict that you will get your period this week but it might be very light.

Dr. Collins :

It can take up to 2 cycles to get regular again.

Dr. Collins :

But I assure you that if you had a negative test yesterday than absolutely you are not pregnant.

Dr. Collins :

Not from the encounter on the 4th.

Dr. Collins :

You can do one more test using first morning urine if you want but really if yesterday was negative anytime during the day, you are not pregnant.

Dr. Collins :

Any other questions?

Customer:

no thankyou

Dr. Collins :

Ok, please click accept so I get credit for my advice.

Dr. Collins :

You are not pregnant from the 4th for sure.

Dr. Collins :

no way

Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 28 years of experience and an award-winning educator.