Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  28 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

what is focal endocervical microglandular hyperplasia and what

Customer Question

what is focal endocervical microglandular hyperplasia and what does it mean?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
This means you have excess tissue within the endocervical canal - and hence this needs to be watched carefully and you should also have an Endometrial biopsy and/or a D&C if you have not had this already to check for endometrial hyperplasia - and the reason for this is that this can turn into a possible endocerival/ endometrial cancer - so honestly if you are not planning of further pregnancies - treatment recommended would be with a hysterectomy - but if you do desire more children - then using a progeseterone such as Prometrium should be used to 'treat'.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have one child and would like to have on more. I also have PCOS. the lab reports also say that I have low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion at 6 oclock and 12 oclock. the info I asked you earlier is fromt he 12 oclock biopsy. does this change anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also will taking clomid effect this? As I need to take itinerary order to conceive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also....sorry it says endocervix curettings fragments of benign cervical tissue no dysplasia identified.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well - clomid can affect this as this can cause hyperplasia - so I would NOT use this again - as there is a possibility that clomid can cause hyperplasia and possible cancer too.
Benign fragments - this NORMAL tissue - not anything to be concerned about.
PCOS - you have excess estrogen in your body - so this can cause hyperplasia - and PCOS can also increase the risk of endometrial cancer too.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My Dr did not mention hysterectomy at all. I would like another oppinion.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

This is a condition that is usually caused by hormones in your system. Microglandular hyperplasia occurs most often in women who are on oral contraceptive therapy or Depo-medroxyprogesterone acetate resulting from the influence of progesterone. It also occurs in pregnant or postpartum women. On pap it may be confused with abnormal cells. It doesn't require any particular treatment. Just making sure that there aren't really any abnormal cells there by taking some samples with a curette in the canal. With a larger tissue sample, the pathologist should be able to be certain of the diagnosis and rule out the need to worry. Please accept so I get credit for my advice. Ask questions if you have any.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So at this time is it safe for me to take Clomid and try to get pregnant? I am very healthy otherwise.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. If the pathologist is sure of the diagnosis than it is a reaction to hormones in your system and not the sign of any cancer or precancer requiring treatment. The low grade dysplasia that you have on your cervix does not require treatment. It will often go away by itself with time. Recent research shows that having a low grade dysplasia that goes away, doesn't increase your lifetime risk of cervical cancer. If the dysplasia doesn't go away, there will be plenty of time to treat it even if you do get pregnant. The average time for dysplasia to get to a problematic stage that requires absolute treatment is at least 6 years. As long as you keep up with your pap smears and colposcopies when advised to, you will not be in danger of things getting out of hand. Yes do go ahead with your plans to get pregnant and follow the advice of your doctor as to when to have a repeat pap and/or colposcopy to follow the low grade dysplasia that you do have. Please click accept so I get credit for my time and advice. Good luck!
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 28 years of experience and an award-winning educator.