Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  Experienced in maternity and women's health

What causes blood in the urine for a post menopausal woman

What causes blood in the urine for a post menopausal woman?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.

How long the symptom is there? How much blood is coming? How frequently? Is there any pain during urination or other symptom? Was any test done? Are you taking any medicine? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just started half an hour ago. I see the blood when I wipe after urinating. enough so I need to put on a pad.I feel pressure in my bladder even if I don't need to go.There is a slight burning when I go.I take no medicine except Tylenol. There is no significant past illness.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Blood can appear in urinary tract infection. When you have burning sensation, it is the possible cause. Antibiotic will help in infection. The other possibility of blood can be stone. At post menopausal age growth should be ruled out. Taking plenty of water is good for urinary tract infection or stone which helps to wash out the bacteria or tiny stone from the system. Cranberry juice can be taken. It should be evaluation asap. Urine test, culture and sensitivity test, ultrasonography will be needed to know about the severity of the disease and appropriate management. If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please explain "at postmenopausal age growth should be ruled out."
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
With increasing age, as you know, incidence of growth or cancer increases. Bleeding in those cases are often painless. When you have burning it sounds more like an infection. Still you should get it thoroughly checked.