Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I was found to have a septated cyst in my right breast at the

I was found to have a septated cyst in my right breast at the lower outer quadrants measuring 2.43 x 1.21 x 2.39 cm from a breast ultrasound 2 weeks ago. What does septated mean? Should I be majorly concerned and what will my dr advise I do next for this? Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Tim, MD : Hi I would be happy to help you
Dr. Tim, MD :

Cystic changes in the breast are more likely associated with a benign process

Dr. Tim, MD :

A "septation" is like a wall within the cyst extending from one side to the other.

Dr. Tim, MD :

Is this mass causing any symptoms?

Customer:

When I lay on my stomach to sleep, it feels a little tender. I also have breast implants which really need to be replaced so those also make my breasts feel tender.

Dr. Tim, MD :

As I stated, the chance of a cancer is very low, probably < 1%, but given that the cyst has complex features (septation and calcification) it needs further evaluation. They will probably recommend:

1. Aspiration - the contents can be sent for analysis
2. At least every 6 month followup for 2 years

Does this answer your questions?

Dr. Tim, MD :

Aspiration = sticking a needle into it and drawing off the fluid.

Dr. Tim, MD :

And no, you should not be majorly concerned!

Customer:

Can the needle procedure be done at a gynecologist's office or somewhere else?

Dr. Tim, MD :

Usually that would be done by a Radiologist, but you would have to ask your OB/GYN if they were comfortable doing this. If your OB/GYN refers to a Breast Center, then this is ideally where it would be done, and under ultrasound guidance.

Dr. Tim, MD :

In fact, if they tried to talk you OUT of doing an aspiration, then I would INSIST on it.

Customer:

Thank you. Once the procedure is done, how long before you get the results? If the results show just fluid, can it just be drained and will it then go away?

Dr. Tim, MD :

With fine needle aspiration, depending on their setup, they can give you an answer right away - this might not be the case everywhere. Otherwise, pathology results can take up to a week. It has a chance to reform, but it might not - this question is answered in the close follow-up.

Dr. Tim, MD :

If you need additional clarification, please ask. If you are satisfied, please ACCEPT. Please leave feedback. Good luck!!

Customer:

If it is just fluid filled, can that fluid contain calcification of any kind. I understand there are 2 kinds of calcification. Is that something that will also show up right away? And can they tell if it's good or bad calcification? Or do I have to wait for the results

Dr. Tim, MD :

The calcification is probably in the cyst wall, septation, or surrounding breast tissue. There can be "debris" within any cyst, and this will be apparent what it is when they look at it under a microscope. When they referred to "calcification", I am going to guess that this somehow involved the cyst itself, not the surrounding tissue - this is a great question for the Radiologist (if they are the ones draining it).

Dr. Tim, MD :

If I were you, I would not try to research it too much before you have an answer. They will be able to give you a pretty definitive answer once it is drained.

If you are satisfied, please ACCEPT. Please leave feedback. Good luck!!

Customer:

If the dr does not recommend the fine needle aspiration, what else would they recommend and should I still insist on this procedure?

Dr. Tim, MD :

While answering this question, I was able to research your specific situation (a complex breast cyst), and the standard treatment is aspiration of the cyst to assure that the diagnosis is benign. The chance of cancer is quoted at 0.4%, so it is very low - BUT - the recommendation is to remove the fluid for a diagnosis. You need to insist upon it unless they can guarantee you that it is not cancer - which they cannot do!

Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience: General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN