Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I am a 29 years old female and I took amoxicillin 3 times per

I am a 29 years old female and I took amoxicillin 3 times per day for 10 days because I had a bronchitis about 3 months ago. I started having an itchy vagina in the middle of the treatment, so I took Monistat 3. (I always get a yeast infection when I take antiobiotics)

After several days after the monistat treatment, my vagina was still itchy so I went to a walk-in clinic. The doctor prescribed me Flagystatin, 1 OV per day for 10 days.

After several days after the treatment, my vagina was still itchy, so this time I went to see my general practioner. She did a PAP test, and a swab for STDs and bacterial growth. She also precribed me yet another yeast infection medication : 1 Apo Fluconazole 150MG to take orally, and 45MG Taro Terconazole 0.4% to use once per day for 7 days. The results for the swab and the PAP test both came back NEGATIVE.

It has been several weeks now and my vagina is still itchy. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 2 years ago.

ok.

so sounds like you have been adequately treated for yeast.

This sounds like you are having a skin reaction to something. See if you can identify something you are using (soap, lotion, spray, detergent, etc) and see if removing it helps. Also, you can try OTC 1% hydrocortisone to help with the itching...and, if this is a skin reaction it should also go away.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's the thing, I have not changed laundry/shower soap in years, I don't eat any differently, I am not doing anything differently that I have been for years. I don't get why this would happen now.

Is it still possible this could be a STD, even though I got tested for it (swab)?

If it's not allergy, what else could it be?

Thank you.

That's ok.

It could also be a reaction to one of the ingredients in the medications you used.

This isn't very common of an STD and with negative tests, I seriously doubt it's an STD.

It could also be a yeast infection on the outside skin..so you can go either way. You can try an OTC yeast cream and place it on the outside rather than in the vagina first...and then try the 1% hydrocortisone.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

+

I have 1 more question. Could it possibly a symptom of Diabetis type 2, because my blood sugar level was a little bit high last time I was tested.

recurrent yeast infections could be a sign of diabetes. So, if there's a question there you should have the sugar test or fasting blood sugars tested to see.

If, however, you are a bit overweight..it could be yeast growing in a damp,moist area and simply keeping the area clean and dry while promoting as much air flow as possible could be all you need to do to make this go away.

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor