Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Hello, how do I stop the depoprovera-induced bleeding? I

Hello, how do I stop the depoprovera-induced bleeding?

I am 27yrs old. Before depo-provera I was perfectly healthy.

I've been on depo for 1 year, my last shot was Oct. 12, 2011 but to this day (4 months later!) I am still bleeding.

Last month my Gyn gave me premarin (estrogen) pills to stop the bleeding, but didn't work. If anything, it increased the bleeding.

Now recently he gave me Provera (progesterone) 10mg pills, to take till bleeding stops. I am on Day 4 and I am still bleeding. Also, if anything the bleeding is MORE

What do I do? Continue the provera? I don't think i can because the side fx are intolerable (I have been so emotional lately, just crying for no apparent reason.)

Most importantly, how do I stop the depo-induced bleeding?

Thank you...
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Have you gained any weight?
Have you had your thyroid checked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr. Owen,

Thanks for the reply.

I actually lost 10 lbs over the past year. I am 5'3" and 115 lbs.

Never had my thyroid checked, no thyromegaly, no palpitations. But I have been really tired lately.

I have been bleeding on and off while on depo. June 2011 I was given premarin, which worked to stop the bleeding. Jan 2012 I was given premarin again, but bleeding never subsided.

Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
You might want to get your thyroid checked with a TSH thyroid blood test - as this could be the culprit as to why you are bleeding - hypothyroidism is well known to cause irregular bleeding.
Also, you might want to get evaluted for a polyp or even a fibroid too - as this can cause bleeding - so if the thyroid test is normal - I would recommend a hysteroscopy and a pelvic ultrasound too.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I don't have hypothyroidism. I lost weight, my eyebrows are full, I sweat a normal amount. I simply wanted to know HOW to stop breakthrough bleeding due to depo-provera x1yr use.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
There really is no simple answer to this - and if you have ruled out everything that I have listed - then you might consider getting a Mirena IUD.
Thank you for your question, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mirena is progestin again. My body is still trying to process the progestin from the depo shot in Oct. 2011. For now, I don't want any OCP/coctraceptives.

I think I am estrogen deficient, so I am going to take premarin x5days plus ibuprofen 800mg PO TID x7days. What do u think?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
That might work - too
The reason I was suggesting is that even though it is levonorgesterol - it does work for more than 90 to 95% of women with hormonal bleeding problems.
Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks