Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

if you have cysts does it mean you ovulate?

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 4 years ago.

that's a tricky question.

generally speaking a woman creates an ovarian cyst each month that 'pops' and that is called ovulation.

when a cysts doesn't pop and becomes clinically evident by exam or ultrasound - either she did not ovulate or had two large follicles where one did ovulate and one did not.

So, to tell the difference, a day 21 progesterone level is the only way to know if a woman has ovulated or not.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'am trying to better inform myself and understand my body.

1-Having cysts on both sides, will they clear up or do they stay in your body for a while?
2-In trying to conceive with having cysts on both sides that means it is impossible correct?

1) they usually clear up on their own in 6-8 weeks.

2) I hesitate to say impossible, but usually the cysts cause an increase in estrogen levels, thus, suppressing FSH and inhibiting ovulation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My partner uses steroids will that also affect my chances or pregnancy?

Yes, steroids can affect the testicles, thus, affect sperm count and quality.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we are in a time where I find many woman cant have children, so im a bit nervous that my cysts wont allow me to..

It tends to be a normal time when women become nervous about their fertility. The good news is you are young. The cysts should go away with time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
now are there treatments to help with this sort of thing? I believe all women fear about this im sure you get this all the time?

By definition, infertility isn’t diagnosed until you have had unprotected intercourse for 12 consecutive months without conception. Based upon that you should keep trying.
Here are a couple of hints for you to use to maybe help facilitate conception. Relax and try not to stress. Sometimes the stress of trying actually causes just the opposite. Intercourse days are best on cycle days 13-17, remember that day #1 is the first day you spot or bleed.

Now if you wanted to start the infertility work up, the easiest and first thing that is done is a semen analysis to make sure it isn’t your partner’s sperm causing the problem. Next, basic lab work is done on you to make sure you are ovulating. This is done with a day 21 progesterone. It’s fairly safe to say you are ovulating if your periods are very regular. Sometimes an ultrasound or hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is done to check the uterus, tubes and ovaries.

Tests can be added or subtracted depending on results of other test.

You are young and have several years of fertility ahead of you…try not to worry!

I'm happy to answer follow up question as needed, but remember to click 'accept'.

thank you so much,

Dr. Pfeiffer