Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

After sex my vagina is very sore and a couple days after.Red

After sex my vagina is very sore and a couple days after.Red and sore...we use lube, and doesnt hurt during sex..its the recovery time, dont know what to do about this
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 4 years ago.

are you menopausal...either surgical or natural?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I am not menopausal. I still recieve my cycle every month

ok.

there's really only a couple of things that cause this.

1) skin reaction to something that you are using. Called contact dermatitis. So, look at what you are using and try switching to something else (as far as lubricants go). You might try to use plain vegetable oil once or twice to see if these symptoms go away.

2) yeast infections - this happens after intercourse due to the change in vaginal Ph due to the basic nature of semen. You could try a condom once or twice to see if there is an improvement and if that works you can try an OTC product called Rephresh that you can use every 3 days to help maintain vaginal Ph.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is Rephresh a lotion, douche???I thought it might be a yeast infection but use otc products it made it worse. This is happening everytime we have sex. . this is a new partner for me too.

it's a vaginal gel or tablet that can also be placed vaginally. You should never douche.

We do sometimes see sometimes see this reaction in women with new partners...and believe it or not it could be a reaction to semen, which is usually something in his diet.

Try a condom once or twice to see if that's it. If it works, see if he consumes something you are allergic or sensitive to. This may be labor intensive, meaning he will have to keep track of what he eats..unless you have known allergies.