Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

im 34 weeks pregnant, my vigina lips are very sore, they feel

i'm 34 weeks pregnant, my vigina lips are very sore, they feel swollen and i have a blood blister on the outer lip. I find it very painful to walk/sit/sleep with my legs together now, it is a type of chifing due to rubbing together? I have been putting sudcrem on 3 times a day swhich is soothing for a sort time but not really seeing any improvements? Please help me?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
This could be a few things - this could be a Contact Dermatitis - such as an irritation from something, this could be a Yeast infection, and this could be a Herpes Outbreak - and hence this does NEED to be evaluated - because if this is herpes, you do need to be treated for this with Valtrex or Acyclovir so that if you want to deliver vaginally you will not pass the herpes onto the baby.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT and if you have follow up questions, please ask
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How could it be herpes? I have only had sex one with my partner since becoming pregnant and then he did not ejaculate inside me?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
You might have had sex with only one person, but your partner might not have - BUT even more important is that herpes can be spread even NON-sexually - and 80% of the population is infected with herpes but MOST never have an outbreak - but when you are pregnant - your immune system is 'down' really so that your body does not 'fight' the baby - so hence sometimes we see initial outbreaks of herpes in pregnancy - so truly this does need to be checked.
Now, this MIGHT NOT be herpes, it could be yeast or a Contact dermatitis - but it does need to be checked.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you