khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.

Something very very slimy and sticky just came out of my vagina.

Customer Question

Something very very slimy and sticky just came out of my vagina. I had a tiny amount of 'pinkness' with it and the thing itself is clear/beige/brown with a harder part. It is only half a centimetre long but very slimy and therefore spreads out. I have never had anything like this before. I wondered if it was either a very early miscarriage, or the mucus plug (though I'm not pregnant...or didn't think I was!!), or something infection-related. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm feeling very strange about it.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

It sounds like one of the things you described.

Any chance of pregnancy or STD?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A few of weeks ago I did miss a pill but as I am on Cerazette I was aware that I was ok to take that pill when remembered and would still be protected if within 12hours. I did, however, use a condom the next time I had sex. However, I had sex twice more in that following week without the condom, just continuing to take the pills as normal. It is very unlikely I would have an STD as I am only with one partner and, as far as we know, we are both clean.

I suppose there is still always a slight risk of pregnancy, and the miscarriage possibility is the one that worries me the most. I did look up mucus plugs but found absolutely no information about the possibility of it dislodging when you aren't pregnant... or at least near the end of a pregnancy (in which case I would know about it!) Please help me if you have an answer!
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.

I suspect that this was an early pregnancy that was a miscarriage. It sounds as if this is the case.

I would recommend that you get seen by your doctor though as you need a pelvic exam to make sure that all of the products were expelled. Retained products can cause infection.

If you have follow up questions, please ask prior to accepting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you be able to say why it would not be one of the other options? I suppose it could be just a very early miscarriage, but I didn't experience any bleeding or cramps with it.

What would you suggest it could be if an STD. I don't think that's a likely answer but I suppose I may as well understand all the possibilities.

I'm basically just wondering your reasons for thinking it is a miscarriage, if that's ok.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.

If it is an STD, likely trichomoniasis or gonorrhea just based on symptoms.

Mucous plug is possible but unlikely if you have never had one before and there is no good reason for one now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, you definitely think is most likely to be a miscarriage? But what about the lack of cramps and bleeding? If it was an STD would it continue? This small slimy thing was on its own.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.

Cramps and bleeding go along with miscarriage.

Yes, if it was an STD it would continue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
I'm an ob/gyn - do you want help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would very much like some help please. I don't know if you saw the question as I don't know how it works when you 'relist'... the question was...

"Something very very slimy and sticky just came out of my vagina. I had a tiny amount of 'pinkness' with it and the thing itself is clear/beige/brown with a harder part. It is only half a centimetre long but very slimy and therefore spreads out. I have never had anything like this before. I wondered if it was either a very early miscarriage, or the mucus plug (though I'm not pregnant...or didn't think I was!!), or something infection-related. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm feeling very strange about it."
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Did you have a positive pregnancy test?
Are you on any pills, medications, herbs?
What is your height and weight?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't suspect that I was pregnant so I haven't done a pregnancy test. I missed a pill a few weeks ago but am on Cerazette and was under the impression you could take that pill in the next 12 hours and still be protected. I used a condom as well the next day but admit that I didnt use a condom the next few times that week.

I am only taking Cerazette. No other medications or herbs.

My height is roughly 5ft and my weight about 7stone 8.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON CERAZETTE?
WHEN IS YOUR NEXT PERIOD DUE?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been on Cerazette for 6 years. I haven't had regular periods for a few years and my doctor has said that's normal. However, my period was roughly due around the 25th. I sometimes don't get a period some months though, so I suppose I never really know if it's been missed for a reason or just because I sometimes don't get one.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Why are you on Cerazette and not a normal monophasic pill?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was what I was recommended by my doctor at the time and it has agreed with me for 6 years. I haven't had a reason to change and have never wanted to.

Do you have an answer for my original question?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well more than likely this was do to the fact that you are on this pill that is essentially Progesterone (called Desogestrel), or you might have had a polyp.
So, at your age this is NOT really a concern and we do see this at times so you can get a D&C if you are continuing to have problems.
And, I would recommend switching to a Monophasic birth control pill because from what you have said, YOU ARE having problems with this pill.
Please click on ACCEPT, I would then be happy to answer follow up questions.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been to the doctor every 6 months to check that everything is ok with the pill and all doctors I've seen have agreed that I don't have any problems. They have told me that it is normal to go without periods on this pill. Why would the fact that the pill is Progesterone cause a slimy thing to come out after 6 years of being on this pill? What exactly is the slimy thing? Do you mean that this is the polyp? What is a polyp?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Did you look at what I wrote?
What type of doctor are you seeing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Quite frankly, I found this doctor to be patronising and rude. He did not explain anything he said and when I asked if he could explain I received sarcastic and patronising answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
I'll try to help you.
If you still have it, you should give your doctor to send it to an pathologist to examine if there is pregnancy product or not.
It seems to be the lining of the uterus shred.
However, you should see a gyn to have a pelvic exam, a swab, a blood pregnancy test, ultrasound, and an endometrial biopsy if necessary to have infection, a uterine polyps, fibroids, an ovarian cyst, or an ovarian tumor checked.
Any questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I just ask what you think it is most likely to be out of all of those options?
Whether it's likely to be pregnancy product or whether I'm likely to have a polyp/fibroid/cyst/tumor?

I do still have it and I have a doctors appointment next monday for a repeat prescription of my contraceptive pill. I am on the pill but I did miss one a few weeks ago. However, I took that pill within the time when I would apparently still be protected.
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
The pill you are on is progesterone pill. You need to take exactly same time every day without a break. It is less effective than combined pills of estrogen & progesterone if you don't take it at same time. If you are more than twelve hours late taking your pill, you will not be protected against pregnancy. If this happens, you should use an extra barrier method of contraception, eg condoms, for the next two days, while continuing with your normal pill taking.
From your description, it doesn't seem to be a pregnant product. Most likely it is lining built up in the uterus shed from the uterus because you have had no periods.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had that sort of lining build up thing before though and it's never been this sort of substance before. This is really really sticky and slimy. Should I expect more of it?
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
It is possible that you will have it in the future. From your further description, it seems to be mucus from the gland of the cervix rather than lining of the uterus because progesterone pill should suppress the growth of the lining as long as you don't have a tumor. You can check if you still have the lining of the uterus with ultrasound.
If you want, you should switch to combined birth control pills which have one-week break which sheds the lining. It also clears up the mucus together with the lining.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you don't think it's anything to worry about? I will ask the doctor about what examinations they can do. I am quite happy with Cerazette but perhaps I will ask them if there is a different pill, a combined one, that I could try.
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't seem that you have a serious disease. But you should have a pelvic exam, a swab, ultrasound, and an endometrial biopsy to rule out other possibilities.