khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.
20084961

Hi.I have a tiny hard bump on my cervix right near the opening.

Hi.I have a tiny hard bump on my cervix right near the opening. I realized that my cervix felt less smooth in this area right after I had my last child who is now 3. I assumed that it changed from childbirth and never thought much of it. But today I noticed that there is a hard bump there that feels like a pimple or something, smaller than a pea and that it must have been there for a long time. I am scared I have cervical cancer. I have had no pain, no bleeding, no irregular periods, nothing strange. I am a few months overdue for my pap test that my doctor said would be due in 3 years after having 3 normal ones in a row (always been normal in the past) and I called today to schedule it. I am going to go crazy in the meantime waiting to see what my doctor says. I am afraid I have cancer in my cervix and that I shouldn't have let my doctor convince me to wait that long in between exams. Any input or ideas on what this could be would be greatly appreciated!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
Any weight loss? if so, over what period of time?
Do you have bleeding or spotting during intercourse? Abnormal discharge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No weight loss. actually have gained 5 pounds over the holidays. No to the bleeding, spotting and discharge.
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
When you had a baby, was there a cut of the cervix so that your ob needed to suture?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no I had a delivery at home. I don't know of any cervical damage.
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
it doesn't seem that you have cervical dysplasia (precancer, not cancer) or cervical cancer. It seems to be scar tissue (from inflammation or damage), genital warts, a cervical polyp or a cervical fibroid.
Any questions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't have an STD because I am married for 10 yrs. What is a cervical polyp and what would make you think it is not cancer or precanerous? Thanks!
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
A cervical polyp is a poly which grows from the cervix and is benign.
The typical symptoms of cervical cancer are as follows:

Vaginal bleeding after intercourse, between periods
Watery, bloody vaginal discharge that may be heavy and have a foul odor
Pelvic pain or pain during intercourse

Precancer could cause vaginal bleeding after intercourse, between periods.

Most of the cause of cervical dysplasia and cancer is human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. Your pap smear is negative for HPV. HPV is STD.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX one more tiny question. Does the pap smear being delayed 3 and 1/2 years between worry you? My doctor had suggested that at the time since we had several clear pap tests annually.
You have eased my mind a little!
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
A number of organizations have recommendations regarding when and how frequently a woman should have Pap smears. These guidelines differ slightly because each organization takes different factors into consideration. The guidelines are recommendations for you and your doctor to consider and discuss.

Recent Groups' guidelines

1. Age 21 to 29

The American Cancer Society (ACS): Every two years with a liquid-based test or annually with a conventional test

The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG): Every two years

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF): At least every three years

2. Age over 30

ACS: Every two or three years if you've had three negative tests in a row

ACOG: Every three years if you've had three negative tests in a row

USPSTF: At least every three years