Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

What causes a slimy bloody vaginal discharge about a week after

Customer Question

What causes a slimy bloody vaginal discharge about a week after my menstrual period?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 2 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Have you noticed any pelvic pain, discomfort, or pain with intercourse?

Customer : Yes
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You may very well have uterine fibroids.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

These are masses in the uterus (womb) that are typically benign and are very common.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I recommend you visit a gynecologist to have an exam and ultrasound performed to identify the cause.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

We typically will prescribe birth control to help with your bleeding. However, if you have significant pain, a hysterectomy may be the recommended treatment.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

A pap smear will also be obtained to exclude cervical abnormalities (pre-cancer/cancer) as the cause. However, with this one will typically have bleeding all the time, not only during and after the period. Uterine fibroids are most likely the cause.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :
Customer : I have done pap smear about a year ago and nothing significant was found. Also did ultrasound two weeks ago and nothing significant. What do I do next?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Great. Did your doctor say "nothing significant" or something else?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Sometimes doctors will disregard small fibroids although they can also cause the same symptoms as larger fibroids.

Customer : The doctor said "nothing significant"
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I would then recommend he clarify this statement. Most likely smaller uterine fibroids were seen. An endometrial biopsy may be warranted if the lining to the uterus looked "thick." Treatment-wise, the first step is to try birth control because it naturally regulates and reduces bleeding.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you don't have any medical issues that makes using birth control unsafe, this is the next step and should adequately treat your abnormal bleeding.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :
Customer : The scanner doctor said the uterus lining was thick and the uterus seemed large, but attributed it to the five births I have had
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

No, most likely there is an issue like fibroids causing the uterus to be enlarged. Especially since the lining was thick. If your doctor has not overlooked fibroids then the most likely cause is a condition called adenomyosis.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

This is where the glands that normally line the uterus are abnormally located within the wall/muscle layer of the uterus. It also causes the uterus to appear enlarged and you will develop pain and irregular bleeding.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I would definitely recommend the biopsy since the lining was thick. Polyps are like benign pieces of tissue...similar to moles on the body. They can cause bleeding and thickening on the ultrasound, but do not cause the uterus to appear enlarged.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Afterward, birth control should be given to regulate your bleeding. If this fails to help, a hysterectomy will be necessary.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I need to run to see a patient. I will return shortly if you have additional questions/concerns. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.

Customer : thanks a lot, you've been great
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're so welcome. Please don't forget to click the accept button so that I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.

Experience: With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the explanations. However, after my complaint on Monday, I began another heavy menstruation on Tuesday which is just two weeks after my cycle. Please can you explain this?
Any of the conditions discussed above can cause irregular bleeding. In particular, fibroids commonly cause irregular bleeding and pelvic pain. Polyps can also cause irregular bleeding, but usually do not cause pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. The bleeding was heavy yesterday, but much less today though the waist pain pelvic pain is still there. So, what do you advice I do now?
No change. All of this can be caused by the same problem(s). I would recommend you obtain a copy of your ultrasound so that you can share it with me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, will see if I can get a copy of the ultrasound and get back to you. Thanks & God bless u.
Thank you. And you as well. :)